Run socket outside - unusual.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Thirty16, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Thirty16

Thirty16 Member

Hi guys,

A bit of a strange one but here goes.

Basically I have something which requires power that I want to wall mount (max 12V).

I don’t want the cables on show (or rather my wife doesn’t lol) but for various reasons that I won’t go in to I can’t really chase them down the wall.

My original idea was to drill out to the exterior wall, run the cable through yhe wall, down the outside and drill back in again and plug in that way, waterproofing the outside cable. But the power supply cable isn’t long enough and it’s not really adaptable.

So now I’m thinking maybe run an FCU and an IP rated socket to the outside wall from a socket inside and plug it in out there (waterproofing it).
    It’s not an end of ring socket as I can see that there’s more daisy chained off of it.

My question Is this viable?
    And also, is it notifiable under Part P?

I’m very capable on the DIY side of things and I do understand the basics.
    I’d just like to double check that it’s OK?

Thank you.

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

No being pedantic but, by definition, a ring doesn’t have an end!
    The issue is if the socket that you are connecting to on the ring itself (in which case you can add your FCU to it) or is it a spur connection to a ring(in that case you cannot add a spur to a spur).