Running power to shed up garden

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Hibby, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Hibby

Hibby New Member

Hi after a bit advice.

Needing to run power to shed/pigeon lift up the garden 15m from house probably 20m from main fuse box. Power will be required 24hr per day and at times will be running a 200-300w infrared panel heater. Small Extraction fans and some lighting- winter months.

I understand I need arumoured cable burried up the garden from house to lift. Hoping I can dig trench and supply cable.

Few questions are
    *what diameter cable- link would be good.
    *does armoured cable have to run full length of run from unit to loft? Or just externally from leaving house to leave loft.
    *what type of unit would be required in loft to supply ciruits for power and lighting? Link would be good again.

*approx what ball park figure should I be looking at for instaliation by qualified sparky.

I'd like to do a lot of the manual work myself digging trench etc to save on costs also supply as much materials as possible as I can buy bits at a time until I have everything needed for sparky to fit.

Keep getting told just run an extension but I'm not willing to take these risks as its a family home and illegal.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Depending on your garden or house layout you may want to consider running the cable inside conduit / trunking this could be installed above ground to avoid digging. If properly secured will be child proof. Conduit inside the shed / pigeon loft will also be a good idea to be resistant to pigeons and rodents.

I would look at putting a second consumer unit in the shed so that you can separate the circuits in the shed. You could probably get away with 6mm cable to the shed and then standard cable 2.5 /1.5 inside for sockets and lights.

Without seeing the house supply, consumer units, route up the garden and what you need in the shed its difficult but I would budget something like £300 - £400 for materials and around £450 for labour depending on how much / little the electrician has to do compared to what you fancy taking on yourself

Hibby likes this.
  3. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I am informing you that running in a new circuit is notifiable to BC and is law, either if your a self-certifying sparks and did it yourself as a reg. electrician or if you notify the council

YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD

A sparks will only certify it if HE has done the job, not started it half way through

4. rd1

rd1 Member

Hibby,
    You have obviously touched a nerve with Sparky above making him shout!
    I think there is opportunity for you to save money, when I wanted power to my garage similar to your project I discussed with the electricians about what I could do to reduce the cost. The ones that quoted were all happy if I dug the trench which saved a fair bit of the time and after the electrician laid the 6mm SWA cable, I backfilled.

The electrician ran a cable (unsure of the size) from the house CU to the outside wall and into a box,then connected the SWA at that point and down into the trench,when he got to the garage he terminated into a smaller CU allowing for lights and sockets. To be honest there was not a great deal of work for him but I knew I was paying for the part P process. He was happy with this arrangement and he got the work without the trench digging part!

Regarding the parts, he would charge you the market rate which is what you would have to pay anyway, so perhaps you are better to ask him to include the price for the parts he needs.
    Good luck with the project.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Exactly many electricians will be more than happy to avoid the chores like digging trenches, fixing long runs of conduit and running cable through it, fixing back boxes in the right place and drilling out timber for cable runs. These are the jobs "apprentices" tend get when the start on site before they are qualified.

As RD1 says above most of the ones will specify the bits needed or supply themselves and give you a guide on how and which jobs they are happy for you to do.

Better crack on its going to get cold soon

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Make sure trench is 500mm deep, cable will be then safe from the full depth of a fork or spade.:oops:

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You also need some warning tape laid on the cable and just benieth the ground along the cable run.