Running TV cables behind plasterboard

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mrbojangles, Aug 8, 2019.

1. mrbojangles

mrbojangles New Member

I've got a new build property with dot and dab behind plasterboard walls. Behind the skirting board section it seems to be dabbed all the way along the wall, no gaps to run cables through for a wall mounted TV. I was hoping to run them down underneath the flooring and over to an existing media panel on an adjacent wall, so vertically down inside the wall, then turning right and running through joists to the media panel.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I'm thinking maybe potentially remove the skirting board, remove a section of hidden plasterboard behind the skirting, cut through the dabbing somehow to create an access hole down to below floorboards.

I'm hoping you guys may have come across this before and have a best solution.

Thanks in advance.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Anyway you can get job done I guess. Don't run power along side to close to signal cable although I have OK. If you can use pipe or conduit you may get more cables through in years to come if needed

3. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Dot and dab should seal all along the top to help with fire propagation but as far as I know it needn't be at the bottom but probably helps fix skirting board.

Foam like stuff is sometimes used as well. Guides suggest all around the edge and and variations on a corner to corner cross both ways etc or strips.

John
    -

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Running dot and dab along ceiling and floor edges is to do with making gap between wall and plasterboard air tight to improve thermal insulation

5. mrbojangles

mrbojangles New Member

If this is the case there must also be a standard way of running cables behind plasterboard down to below the flooring, or up to the ceiling. So my question is how do electricians do this? Surely all the pros have a standard method?

6. mrbojangles

mrbojangles New Member

I don't understand how that explains how to run cables behind plasterboard and down to under the flooring. Can you explain in more detail?

7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

No standard method for dot and dab, all depends on how many dots, the clearance from the wall, often it is just easier to work it like you would a plastered wall and cut a chase down the wall (two slots and dig out the middle with a rake chisel) then put your cable and capping in and re-plaster, often the only way, at least for some of the run - unfortunately dot and dab is a bodge method of plastering that saves builders a lot of time and money (not much skill involved and cheapo materials, many builders don't even skim it, just plaster the joins and paint the paper) but leads to an inferior wall which is harder to work on or attach things to that if it had been conventionally plastered, and is as a consequence a royal pain to work on! - modern houses are amongst the hardest to work on and create a good finish as they are riddled with penny pinching.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.