Runny wet grout for floor tiling

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by GasKate, Nov 6, 2022.

1. GasKate

GasKate New Member

Good evening,

We have just had our whole ground floor tiled and the hallway was grouted today.

The fella that did it mixed the grout rather wet about that of double cream and applied it with a squeegee. I asked him as I thought it had to be like a paste (as I have seen before then having a bathroom tiled) and he said it is fine and it how they do it when they grout porcelain patios and it ensures it fills the gaps completely.

is this correct ? Everything I have seen on website says it should be thick enough to not drop off the a trowel.
    Thanks
    Kate

Hausfix likes this.
  2. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

If grout is mixed too wet it can later begin to hairline crack.
    Mixed according to Mfr's instructions and applied with a grout float (squeegee?) is the correct way to grout but I dont really know what consistency your grout was?

3. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

Is this guy a professional and experienced tiler that will be offering you a warranty on the work he has done? If so, I wouldn’t worry too much..
    I’d personally agree that it’s important to ensure the grout fills the gaps fully, without leaving air gaps, for a longer lasting result.

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Wait until the job is complete before judging his methods

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The advantage of runny grout is that it will get into all of the gaps around and under the tiles giving a better fix. The disadvantage id that too runny and it will shrink and crack when drying.