Rusty bolts on cistern/toilet bowl interface

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gotcher, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

I have a cistern which I need to remove from a toilet bowl in order to carry out maintenance. The cistern is low level and directly attached to the rear of the bowl via two bolts which have wingnuts under the rear of the bowl. There is only a very small gap between the cistern and bowl - probably enough to slip a hacksaw blade between, though I'm hoping there will be another answer to the problem.

Unfortunately the wingnuts and bolts onto which they attach are seized solid due to age. The property is a few years old and there's a good crust of white powdery stuff and rust jamming the threads.

If I try to undo these wingnuts with too much pressure I'm going to crack the toilet bowl. I managed to get one of the wingnuts a quarter turn undone but they are both jammed solid.

Any ideas how to deal with this situation?

Thanks!

2. Markybob

Markybob New Member

The only way to free rusted parts is in the first instance coaxing with WD40, if this doesnt work heat the screw with a blow torch, grip tightly and unscrew, so not an option in your case. If the wd40 (or plusgas) is un-sucessful use the hacksaw blade...... sorry!!

3. Jamie

Jamie New Member

as said, wd40, or blowtorch, or hacksaw. and fit either stainless steel or aluminium bolts to replace it!

4. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

Thanks guys. There is another option which I'm going to try - if plusgas doesn't do the job, this being a nutsplitter. Not sure if it will fit in the gap at the moment, but if it does I'll try to split the wingnut.

Will try plusgas first though.

5. lastword

lastword New Member

You might find it easier to break the plastic flush unit out of the inside of the cistern then lift the cistern off to give access to the errant metal bits. I found that better than fiddling about standing on my head and cutting metal in very confined space.

6. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

Hadn't thought of breaking the syphon assembly in the cistern, not sure there was either room or opportunity though - the syphon looked as though it was made of hard plastic, possibly nylon (I can't remember now).

Completed the job today. Boy, what a job! Those two bolts which attach the cistern to the loo were the critical timewaster on this one!

Hit the bolts with PlugGas. No good. Wouldn't budge. Nut splitter wouldn't go into the space available. Tried hacksaw, but the bolts were hardened and wouldn't play ball.

Then realised that the toilet bowl had broken around one of the bolts - a chunk fell out as I tried with the elbow grease (it was a long-term break, the interface on the china was dirty, so I didn't break it!). That released one bolt.

Eventually managed to persuade the cistern to lift off at an angle, as the remaining bolt was in a sliding channel on the close coupler. That gave me access to the bolt head.

Drilled thru the bolt head so that I could shear it off, then the bolt came out. Another half hour saw the syphon replaced and the water supply being turned back on.

I have no idea how I might have solved this problem had the loo not been physically broken - if both bolts had stayed in place then the only option I could see was an angle grinder, not favourable due to restricted space. I'd tried all other options.

7. WOLF

WOLF New Member

yes i would have suggested those ways as well, but come on plumbers...... why not in the first place smear a little petroleum jelly on the threads when you install the pans/cisterns in the first place, then it makes for easier work should you get a call back, or a change of suite in a year or two(knowing what women can be like), this i was taught years ago by an old plumber/fitter turned lecturer.....and that was in the days before nylon fittings..
    regards wolf

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's 17 years ago. The OP passed away from complications arising out of urine retention and a serious bowel obstruction whilst waiting for you to respond.

just pumps likes this.
  9. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Guess a multitool wasn`t born then. :p