Safe buried cable route

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JB, Feb 1, 2004.

1. JB

JB Member

I need to add extra sockets to a ring main.
    The room has a solid/parquet floor and inaccessable ceiling void so I will need to run the cables horizonatally buried in the plaster. Is it OK to run the cable vertically down from the sockets (about 7" above floor level) and behind the skirting, or should they be run horizontally from socket to socket. In either case sould the cable be steel cabled as it is not in a "safe Zone".
    Thanks

2. JB

JB Member

Should read "steel capped"!

3. sparkydude

sparkydude New Member

Hi, as long as the cable is directly below the socket then it is in the permitted zone. Behind a skirting does not cause a problem as long as you make sure you do not nail into the cable when fixing the board. sometimes its the only option left to us when working in houses with this type of flooring and as such is acceptable, i mean who is going to be drilling and fixing lots of things on the skirting, not like a wall is it hanging pictures etc

no further mechanical protection is required as the skirting is a pretty good protector .

Hope this helps

Nick

4. The Trician

The Trician New Member

B.T. are sods when it comes to screwing things to skirting boards - just watch your phone socket!

5. sparkydude

sparkydude New Member

Ha Ha thats a good one BT using screws LOL if its not on masonry or sometimes if it is most the BT guys use them double sided foam pads , nott oot much effort involved in them. Even if they do want to fix it with screws they only use the smallest they can get away with , so as not to strain their weak wrists.I remeber a job where we installed all the 3 compartment skirting trunking round, run conduits under the floor by the doorways to link them together for their cables. we came back the next week to find they had stuck all their sockets on the trunking with the sticky pads instead of the boxes we provided for them and not only that , they had tacked their cables all around the architraves on the door LOL, lazy bar stewards

6. The Trician

The Trician New Member

You are Lucky! The guys round here just LOVE 2" Number 10 pozi's....