Sail Shade Pole Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BSD432, Jun 21, 2022 at 3:31 PM.

1. BSD432

BSD432 New Member

I hope someone can help as I only have "DIY" knowledge. I have a low wall (1000mm high) of cinder block construction with cladding and I am looking to attach 2 brackets for a sail shade pole which is 1¾in diameter in stainless steel. I can't find anything suitable anywhere. I know I'd need to cut through the cladding and fix them securely to the wall so I need them to stand off 50mm+.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Possibly some scaffold brackets or bolt straight through the pole and through the wall.....

Can the pole go behind the wall???

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The wall is not very tall, it will be light and not stable enough to fix poles that may have wind catching devices attached. I suggest a suitable ground anchor.

4. BSD432

BSD432 New Member

Thanks for the advice. Scaffold brackets are a great idea. However if as Bob says the wall is likely not going to be strong enough I'll have to rethink it entirely. I'm unable to use ground anchors since the area to shade is on a terrace with decking. I can also screw it to the decking but I wouldn't want it to damage that. I will need to pull them quite taut so they will catch the wind at times. The alternative is to install an aluminum pergola but I was trying to avoid having 4 big metal legs taking up space. I am not sure if it is avoidable if the wall isn't going to be strong enough.

5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I have a rectangular sail shade.

Two fixings are into the house just above the patio doors with one other anchor point to a single skin side wall and the other to a wall just a few feet tall. This is a double skin wall though but this is the one that takes the most strain due to the angles. No pole though.

I get a lot of windy weather at times with 4 miles of open fields at the back and side of the house.

You don't state how long the pole will need to be???
    Are you sure you need a pole??? You may find that the sun gets underneath it if you have it too high. Depends what you are trying to shade??? ie an open area or a part of the house / window, Like mine. :):)
    No issues with my fixings.

Other question was can you affix the pole to the back of the wall??? This will make it considerably stronger utilising the strength of the whole wall height, spreading the tension, so to speak.
    I think if your wall is sound and the pole is not too long it will be fine. (note I say, think).

6. BSD432

BSD432 New Member

I was planning to put 2 fixings into the exposed rafters then 2 poles attached to the wall (which is 3m from the rafters). The poles would be 5m apart on the wall. The poles are 2.75m tall but have 3 different heights of fixings so I can adjust as needed. I was not planning on it being out permanently. I'd leave it out for a few months in the summer (unless there are excessive winds) and take it down in the winter.

I wanted the poles to give flexibility of height really. If both corners of one side are attached to the 1m high wall we won't be able to make the most of the space due to height restrictions. I'd be shading an open area with seating and standing room.

The terrace is on the 3rd floor so I wouldn't be able to fix it myself without getting scaffolding up unfortunately. I've looked at scaffold fixings and there are some I'd be able to use to fix to the wall, then one for the base I can screw to the decking too.