Salamander bathroom pump fuse keeps going

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Stephen EDMEADES, May 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Stephen EDMEADES

Stephen EDMEADES New Member

Hi - I am not a plumber. We had 3 bar (?) pump installed about 15 months ago for bath, sink and shower pressure boost. Now we have an issue that the fuse (3A) keeps going every few days. An ideas folks?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Overload or short circuit causes fuses to blow. Does it blow when pump first activates or whilst it is running ?

3. Stephen EDMEADES

many thanks terrymac for jumping on. It blows when first activates not while running. I am wondering if we have to give up and get a new one. Our previous pump (not Salamander) lasted about 12 years.!

4. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

What model pump do you have? & is it correctly fused? Information re-pump models&fuse ratings will be on their website

5. Stephen EDMEADES

ah - I think it must be a CT Bathroom but it is out of sight sealed in under the bath at the moment. The user manual (which covers 3 CT models) says not to exceed the fuse rating of the one supplied - that is 3A - I assume that but a plumber repaired this the first time it went - when I was out at work - I assume he replaced the fuse with one with the same rating.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You will need to gain access to the pump to investigate further.

7. Stephen EDMEADES

we have to pull the panel off the side of the bath to change the fuse - which we last did yesterday. Can do that but not sure there is much to see

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Any sign of water ingress on electrics or pump ? Electric connections in good order at both ends ?

9. Stephen EDMEADES

no sign of water ingres - not sure about checking electrics - i'm just a layman so to speak. I have emailed salamander support, not got a reply yet

10. Mietek9

Mietek9 New Member

Hi Steven did you find a solution? I have replaced very old pump which was running fine during tank replacement with salamander CT and it died within warranty period kept blowing fuse, we replaced with the new one we received it was good for few showers and blow the fuse, replaced the fuse and it’s running but will see for how long. The pump is not even being used a lot lasted since end of November till now where we’ve been away for 3 weeks.

11. Y77LMB

Y77LMB New Member

Has anyone found a solution to this issue as we are having the same issues at the moment
    We had a new shower and pump installed in June by a qualified plumber and already have had to replace the pump once and also the fuse 4 times and it has happened yet again today and blown yet another fuse
    It’s getting very frustrating as we were highly recommended the Salamander Pump and told the bigger one to get which would be more than enough to power our shower
    At present I am not feeling 100% happy that we made the right decision and with 4 children it’s not great having no washing facilities nor have to keep calling out a plumber

12. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Any sign of water leaks around the pump? At what point did the fuse blow, when the shower was first started or during use?

13. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

Salamander are a nightmare. And try to wriggle out of their warranty. We changed from a salamander when a new pump failed after two months to a Stuart Turner. More expensive but a lot better quality. But you have to make sure that the pipework has been done according to their instructions.

Timbo66 and Teki like this.