Sand And Soil

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by gibbsy09, Sep 13, 2021.

1. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Hi I am going to be doing a fresh sowing of grass seed on my lawn, I have beed riddling and cleaning the soil, only trouble is, removing the stones has also removed alot of the volume, and I may not have enough soil, so I have some sand, that is pretty fine and I was thinking of mixing the soil and sand equally, by using a full Barrow of sand, and a full Barrow of soil, mixing both together on the ground 50/50, or should it be another formula eg 70/30 or something like that, would this be ok to do in our UK climate, lastly can anyone recommend where to get good grass seed, Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

You’ll read lots of conflicting stuff on this and people telling you that you can only use agricultural grit/sand as builders and sharp contains salt. I honestly don’t know if that’s true but think it unlikely as generally salt and mortar / concrete wouldn’t be knowingly mixed.
    What I would say is feel free to add a few shovel fulls of sharp (not building) to your soil. It will help it drain. 50/50 is way to high though. If you’re really short of soil then buy a jumbo of topsoil. Currently around £70 where I am.

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A lot will depend on the composition of your existing soil and what you're hoping to achieve with your lawn - croquet every evening or mow it when it suits you to keep it tidy and stop losing the cat. Grass will grow in pretty much anything but a nice even tilth in a slightly sandy loam would be nice.
    Too sandy and it won't retain any nutrients - not enough sand and it won't drain.
    If you just want a bog standard lawn just chuck your sand in - it will be an improvement on the stones you're removing.

4. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

And as for where to buy grass seed just go on eBay. Don’t buy anything in one of those tiny branded boxes. Look for a proper grass seed supplier. Plenty ton there. I forget who I normally use. Chances are you’ll just want a bog standard hard-wearing / family lawn mix. Plenty on there think I pay about £25 for a 5kg bag.

5. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Got some from from Boston seeds, 2kg bag £12 but delivery was dear lol, I'll let you know how I get on with them, cheers.