Sand paper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Niall Love, May 28, 2022.

1. Niall Love

Niall Love Member

Hi Please can you all recommend sand paper to use a that gets into all the nooks and crevasse easily for sanding gloss wood work so that i can paint over with satin wood after.

Some of the wood work is uneven and still has bits where its still looks glossy does this matter or can i just paint over it?

Thanks

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Scotch Pads

Also get cleaning liquids that will aid paint sticking.

Niall Love likes this.
  3. Niall Love

Niall Love Member

Do you mean sugar soap for cleaning?

Thanks

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

KrudKutter Gloss Off is a chemical deglosser

HG Liquid Sander for Painting

A few others about as well

Niall Love likes this.
  5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I don't think you will get ALL of us to recommend.......... Lol. :D

Niall Love likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

For sanding all those 'nooks and crevasse's' as you say, you cant beat foam sanding pads as they mould to the shape of the item your working on

Be it stair spindles, architrave, skirting board, intricate trims, the foam pads are the best choice for sanding, over and above traditional sand paper (in my opinion)

Other benefits are;
    Foam pads can be used wet or dry. Wet works better on water based paints, plus keeps dust down
    When pads become clogged with dust, simply wash out to remove, either continue to use wet or allow to dry

Like regular sandpaper, they will wear out and become less effective, and as ever, quality varies between brands / price points

I've not used the ones in the link, just posted it as an example
    I prefer the ones from T.Stn, come in boxes of ten, fine/med/course/ (single grade per box) and are a lot thinner so really do mould to intricate detail

Overall prep and removing all the gloss does also depend on current paint type - water or oil based, and what your using to paint over it with

https://www.screwfix.com/p/norton-s...ck/486jf#product_additional_details_container

Niall Love likes this.
  7. Niall Love

Niall Love Member

Yes i was looking at those pads from TS after i bought the pack of 5 contour pads 1st from there.
    I will be painting satinwood on all the woodwork and more than likely Dulux
    Thanks