Sanding Parquet Floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JamieRow89, Mar 10, 2022.

1. JamieRow89

JamieRow89 New Member

Hi guys, have just finished laying a herringbone style parquet floor using unfinished oak finger blocks, need to now sand and fill the floor, was wondering what is best to sand the floor and the best method to sand it? Thanks

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I hired floor sander and edging sanded

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As above, belt drum sander or multihead rotary orbital sander available, the rotary orbital is not so violent.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Start by tightening the handle on the drum sander.
    Start and stop with it in the air. Lean it back or will dig in floor at the start and stop floor runs..
    I and others have had handle pullout as its made to come off to fit in a car. Stupid design.
    Pulled out with a mate of mine then power cable wrapped around drum.. Bang. Also dug in floor.
    All because handle not secured correctly..

Also watch edge sander with copper pipes.
    Don't catch nail or screw heads not that you have any in floor. Will rip up sand paper.

Don't let this put you off as easy job. Well can be.

5. JamieRow89

JamieRow89 New Member

Thanks, I’ve contacted a couple of places about hiring a floor drum sander but they advised against using one on parquet floors, they said the only option they had would be a handheld orbital sander but warned it will take a long time with this approach

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I sanded a bit of my hall parquet flooring with a standard orbital sander, it took quite some time. Had to lower a bit of the floor in a doorway ready for carpet & door bar. I would think a belt sander would be much more efficient, anything hand held is going to take forever.

7. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Very odd!

https://www.hss.com/hire/p/floor-sander-240v

"Renovating old board, traditional parquet and block wooden floors is easy with this purpose-made, heavy-duty drum floor sander, removing imperfections, old finishes and most decorative stains to leave the surface ready for varnishing or polishing"

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/sanding-and-fixing/floor-sander-drum-240v/p/330155

(etc)

I can remember my dad using one a long time ago. He went over an unfinioshed edge in a doorway at the end of a diagonal run, and it made a little dip there, he was cross with himself!