Sanding walls before painting

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by JanineDivers, May 15, 2020.

1. JanineDivers

JanineDivers New Member

I need help! It’s my first time painting walls, I thought it would be easy enough BUT everything is going wrong.
    The current paint on my walls is a silk from valspar, I tried to just paint over this with a dulux silk, about an inch in I realised that wouldn’t work.... I was told I’d need to sand the walls first which I’m now doing and this is happening. I’ve tried to paint over but it’s clearly visible through the new paint...A friend suggested carrying on sanding and using zinsser 123 primer afterwards but my whole house is like this and that sounds expensive.
    Anyway my question... am I sanding the walls incorrectly, is this avoidable? If not how can I fix it afterwards.... thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. JanineDivers

JanineDivers New Member

Yeah, I cleaned the wall with sugar soap... I’ve used grit from 80, 120, 150, I’m currently wet sanding, that made a difference, I’ve tried to be gentle but still just keeps happening

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What finish paint are you using?

4. JanineDivers

JanineDivers New Member

It is silk paint on the wall atm and the new paint is silk also

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Should be alright, 80 grit is far too course, 120 max at a push 150 should be fine to knock that sheen off, you will not need to use 123 with silk over silk. Is the wall uneven as cannot make out why the wall has damaged.

6. JanineDivers

JanineDivers New Member

The wall is fine but the paint is very textured so every time I go over a textured area it does this, there are paint drip and runs brush strokes, little chunks of paint if you know what I mean also the paint is like plastic, never seen anything like it, I had to ask what paint was used....she told me valspar signature, it’s dredful.

Attached Files:

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

OK, you are doing the best thing by sanding the lumps and runs flat, you may need to fill the damaged areas to get back to level again followed by patch priming after sanding smooth.

8. JanineDivers

JanineDivers New Member

Ow, so this is whats supposed to happen. It feels so wrong to be doing this to walls ... a case of getting worse before it gets better then I hope.
    Do you think it will show through if I only patch prime? I'm using a very light colour.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Difficult to see from the photo, any imperfections will require filling but that also depends on what level of finish you would like to achieve.

JanineDivers likes this.
  10. JanineDivers

JanineDivers New Member

I dont want it perfect, just painted lol.... i will fill and patch prime it as you said but i think it will still show through as i did a little test patch.... I'm going to try a primer or undercoat to even it out before painting... can you recommend a filler and primer or undercoat wich ever will be needed... thanks for your help

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Toupret interior filler and spot prime over with Zinsser Bullseye 123, you would get away with spot priming using an acrylic primer/undercoat if you have any as that would save the cost of the Zinsser. Toupret doesn't flash or grin when over painted unlike other fillers can and do. Screwfix stock Toupret Interior powdered filler, Leyland Acrylic Primer and Bullseye 123, the choice is yours!

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  12. JanineDivers

JanineDivers New Member

It took me a while but I got there lol... I used the toupret and bullseye 123 as you suggested. Thank you for your help i appriciate it.. on to the next task, think I might become a regular here

chillimonster and Astramax like this.