Sarking board query

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Offshore, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Just moved in to a new house (about 16 years old). I'm in Scotland and was quite surprised to see that there does not appear to be sarking boards on the roof. I was rooting about in the loft and noticed that the felt/membrane is clearly visible between the trusses. When I press the membrane I can feel that there are battens directly on the other side of it and then, presumably, the roof tiles. I always though that Scottish building regs specified sarking? I should add that the house has a completion certificate and all the appropriate warrants etc and there does not appear to be any issue with the roof despite living in a fairly elevated and windy location. Can anyone offer any advice please? Thanks.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What advice would you like? Don't worry, it doesn't matter as millions of roofs hundreds of years old in England and Wales are still standing is the first thing that springs to mind.

3. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Thanks for the reply, and the reassurance. I suppose I wasn't very specific, sorry. I was really just wondering if it was that unusual in Scotland. It's certainly the first of the five houses I have lived in without it. I believe the houses were built by Miller Homes in 2004. I understand that there will always be an element of cost cutting with big building companies but surely they can't just miss out a major part of the roof structure if the building regs stipulate that it should be there. Is there a specific situation whereby sarking is not required in Scotland?
    Thanks

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I think they are still required. Perhaps a call the the planning department?
    I believe it’s a catch all reg that covers from Shetland to Dumfries, there may have been an agreement to remove it if your house is in a more sheltered location.

5. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Thanks, Craig. I will probably do that, out of curiosity as much as anything else. The surveyor's home report picked up on it, but not in a negative way or as a cat 1 fault, just a description of the roof construction i.e. concrete tiles on battens and membrane. I'm guessing they would have highlighted it as an area of concern if they felt it was out of spec. The area I live in is known to be a bit breezy but the roofline of my house is slightly lower than the neighbours house and is effectively sheltered from the prevailing wind direction, I'm not sure if that would qualify it for a different spec of construction. I've had another look round and there are some fairly meaty diagonal cross ties (possibly the wrong terminology) nailed on to the roof trusses and also what I would describe as purlins running the full length of the house - the roof seems pretty substantial to my unprofessional eye, just different to what I would expect.

6. Debbie Hay

Debbie Hay New Member

Did you ever pursue this? We have the same age house, builder and same problems! We have resorted to a new roof but would love to know legalities etc
    Photo shows how wet the beams are with condensation

Attached Files:

7. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

That's not condensation it's rain, your slates are missing.

8. Debbie Hay

Debbie Hay New Member

Yeah very funny!

Alan22 likes this.
  9. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

It was partly in jest but seriously the picture shows a roof open to the elements, can't tell condensation from what's coming from outside.

10. Debbie Hay

Debbie Hay New Member

The picture was obviously taken after removal of the old roof. The wet parts are what was underneath the crappy plastic membrane. It now has sarking, felt, counter batons and tile batons. Tiles going on this week. Previously had **** plastic membrane and tile batons, nothing else!

11. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Are you sure the membrane was plastic? that would be a cause of condensation.

12. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Late 80's early 90's you had Monarfol a pvc roofing membrane, they then brought out Monarfol P which was a perforated membrane.

paddyp and Alan22 like this.
  13. Debbie Hay

Debbie Hay New Member

100% sure. Thick horrible black plastic stuff. I’ve actually kept a bit just incase I need to show anyone ​

14. Debbie Hay

Debbie Hay New Member

upload_2024-1-7_23-36-32.png

15. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Put on the wrong way, it should be grey side down and black side up.

Alan22 likes this.
  16. Debbie Hay

Debbie Hay New Member

It’s black on both sides. Identical on each side. It’s similar material to a membrane you would put under a shed

17. paddyp

paddyp New Member

Cripes, Looks like old radon membrane

18. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Don't believe they are a requirement to be honest. Tiles and felt is considered enough. I would consider insulation between the rafters or a multi foil....

19. Debbie Hay

Debbie Hay New Member

Didn’t work for us! Tried everything, ended up replacing the roof

20. Debbie Hay

Debbie Hay New Member