Sash windows leaking beading

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by RomanC, Oct 3, 2021.

1. RomanC

RomanC New Member

Hi all - got a Venetian Dormer window in my loft leaking. Looks like it's coming from the beading at the bottom. Water appears to be also traveling down through the window board and leaks underneath... As you can from pics / video: some daylight can be seen which tells me the window wasn't sealed off properly.
    Any idea how to repair this?

Couple of independent sash windows experts told me they wouldnt do any repair and just change the whole window...costly
    Window was changed by previous house owner in Feb-19 but no FENSA certificate. Tried phoning / emailing the contractor who did it but he doesn't pick up..

Any thoughts appreciated. Thx

IMG_4941.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Adam_dd

Adam_dd New Member

Hi Roman,

I would try to remove beading from the exterior side of the window, re-sealed the area around the window with silicone exterior sealant and re-installed beading

3. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I doubt there would be removable beading on the outside, so its probably the glazing that's not been sealed properly, maybe just at the bottom if so, you might be able to pull off the old silicon, clean up and reseal, you will have to remove the lower sash window to do this unless you're on the ground floor or a good contortionist! :D The other hole can just be filled on the outside.