Sash windows

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Markybob, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Markybob

Markybob New Member

I have a contract servicing loads of box sashes, included are the high level steel framed windows, anyone got any ideas where I can get approx. 100 mts of pully cord from, I guess it will be 6mm dia. but also not to sure about material, maybe a plaited polyester (non stretch) as used for sailing. Don't suggest chandeleries!!

Thanks

Markybob

2. Ben

Ben New Member

I bought some sash cord from my builders merchants recently. They had about 5 different choices. I can't remember the lengths that came in the pack I bought, but it's kind of red and white striped and cost a fiver. Don't use the very cheap stuff, it's useless! Maybe a good sized timber yard might stock the cord too. Hope this helps!

3. kesh

kesh New Member

On holiday in Yorkshire this year I went to visit a "traditional ropemaker" - I think he was in a town called "Hawes" he makes all kinds of ropes, special orders too. Dont't know if theres a webby. I assume std jute cord is no good for your needs ( SFD sell it).

4. kesh

kesh New Member

5. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Try Marlow ropes. They make the stuff and you must be able to buy it direct. Not sure if theyve got a website, but its a starter for 10!

6. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

How come you got a contract servicing sash boxes when you don't know where to source materials ?

7. squid

squid New Member

Travis perkins will supply you with sash cords. good discount for bulk buy. alternatively jewsons or local hardware store.

8. Markybob

Markybob New Member

Very good diy, It's the box sash's that is the work on this contract, I have the jute sash lines, and the new mouldings etc, it just so happens that I haven't needed control lines for high level steel framed windows before, but I have done plenty of sash work, and I am very good at it!!

That's why I am doing it

Thanks all for the advice on the line, truly appreciated

Cheers

Marky b