Sawing tips

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Offshore, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Morning all.

Does anyone have any tips for sawing finished kick boards and end panels please? They have the same covering on them as the doors and I am concerned that sawing them may cause them to chip as I cut through the finished facing. I will be using a hand saw, is there a particular tooth pattern or tpi number that is best?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Cheers

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Look on YouTube ,lots of advise on there.

Offshore likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Use a finer wood saw and cut then face up. Put masking tape on before you mark the cut line.

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Depending on what the finishing face is, (i.e. whether it's possible or not) I would consider scoring first with a VERY sharp blade.
    Regards,
    Cando

Offshore likes this.
  5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Nice new saw if you're worried: frequently find S&J 2 for a tenner at B&Q (maybe £12)

Offshore likes this.
  6. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

As already mentioned, cut from the face side using a sharp fine tooth panel saw such as Irwin Jack 8 point per inch or similar.
    Cut at a shallow angle to the item being cut to reduce chipping..... If you were cutting with the saw virtually upright it would rip the guts out of the underside of the workpiece, if you let the saw cut at a shallow angle to the workpiece it will minimise this happening.

Offshore likes this.
  7. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I bought a 9 tpi Irwin saw which did the job very nicely. Scoring the face with a new Stanley blade helped immensely. I found that when I scored it the facing was actually quite easy to peel off and left a nice line to guide the saw, it also meant that I was cutting the chipboard rather than the facing material which meant no chipping. A quick once over with a sanding block and all good. Pleased with the result.
    Cheers.

Muzungu likes this.
  8. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Well done!
    Cando

Offshore likes this.