sawing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by karrrl, Jan 7, 2006.

1. karrrl

karrrl New Member

ok this may sound stupid but here goes

whenever i use a saw hand or jig the cut always goes off at an angle instead of(straight down) 180 degrees to the cut its more like 200-220 (sorry best way to describe)
    Please help as this is very annoying

2. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Guest

Hi,

I'm not a joiner, but in my experience my hand saw cuts are off 180 degrees due to lack of care or lack of skill and jigsaw cuts are off the vertical because my jigsaw was **!!!!

Try using a cheapo jigsaw for a worktop cutout and you'll see the blade deflected by the hard material.
    Also, if it is adjustable for mitres then the mechanism might not hold securely enough to keep it perfect.

Trouble is - if you're not using it a lot, buying expensive equipment can be hard to justify.

Otherwise a decent hardpoint saw and lots of practice might help!

[Edited by: forum admin]

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo karrrl and welcome;):)

you need to stand to one side so your arm naturaly swings at 90% you just need to practice untill your arm is naturaly swinging on the line at 90%

for a jigsaw you need a sharp blade preferable pendulum action and dont push too hard

big all

4. ­

­ New Member

Take up snooker, that teaches your arm to behave!

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Take up snooker, that teaches your arm to behave!

Oh yes. But if the saw slips, you cut your hip off :):):)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

6. fannyboz

fannyboz New Member

When using a handsaw first of all make sure it is SHARP.
    A good tip is when you grip the saw, you're forefinger should point straight out. Also let the saw do all the work, ie don't force it.As for your jigsaw, the correct blade for the type of material is vital, and also make sure it is SHARP. If you find you have to force the jigsaw, it's either a blunt blade or the wrong blade.

7. mj

mj Guest

When using a handsaw you have to position you head direclty above the blade to cut straight. A saying from a wise old chippy says that 'on a cold morning when ur nose drips, it should land on the top edge of the saw. Then you'll cut straight everytime'

8. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Did he only have one nostril- right in the middle of his nose? ;)

9. Scrit*

Scrit* New Member

"When using a handsaw you have to position you head directly above the blade to cut straight. A saying from a wise old chippy says that 'on a cold morning when your nose drips, it should land on the top edge of the saw. Then you'll cut straight everytime"

Which is why they all have rusty saws! LOL Pretty much what I was taught, though

Scrit

10. karrrl

karrrl New Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions
    I think ill try and take abit more care and follow the pointers you have given
    Cutting solid wood worktop has been a daunting task
    Thanks Karl

11. mj

mj Guest

If your looking down over the saw, it drips off the point of ur nose! lubricates the blades aswell?

12. nigel

nigel Guest

If the saw is sharp and jumps out of the work cutting the left thumb down to the bone in one stroke then its sharp enough.ine did.

13. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Try a Japanese saw.
    They cut on the pull stroke instead of pushing the blade so always cut straight.
    It's like pulling a length of string which straightens it while it will always bend when pushed.