SBR or PRIMER G for SAND/CEMENT RENDER??

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by dubz, Dec 3, 2018 at 9:09 PM.

1. dubz

dubz New Member

Sorry if this thread has been posted but i really can not find the answer.

I want to know which primer to use on sand/cement render prior to tiling, i have mapei adhesive, so maybe primer g? or SBR (as its on sand/cement render)? Do i need to dilute?

I have also use Mapegum WPS tanking to the shower area (one wall is hardie backer board, and the other is sand/cement render), but i did not prime this section which im starting to regret after reading.

So please provide me with some urgent advice as i will need to start tomorrow, thank you

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

I'd use SBR or should i say i have used SBR in the same situation.
    Its not needed where you have tanked as the tile adhesive will stick to the tanking, though if you didn't prime the walls first lets hope the tanking sticks to the walls as well as the adhesive sticks to the tanking.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Use powdered / bagged tile adhesive, cement based and not ready mixed gunk

This will adhere perfectly to tanking

Areas that aren’t tanked, SBR diluted to render sections (recipe will be on SBR tub)

Tile board, no sealing required, just a wipe over with damp cloth as boards can be dusty

Can go with a brand name SBR such as BAL prime APD or just about any old SBR (I would imagine)

4. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Either. I usually prime Hardie backer as well. Certainly no harm :)

KIAB likes this.
  5. dubz

dubz New Member

Thanks for the timely reply guys, really appreciate it. Now just to make the decision SBR or PRIMER G? o_O Can anyone drop some knowledge on the key differences and what substrates are best suited??

6. Russel

Russel New Member

Primer G all the way, It seems stonger to me