Scale inhibitor position.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by threeof, Nov 5, 2016.

1. threeof

threeof New Member

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Scale precipitation occurs at around 60c

So no scale in cold water pipes,

It has been said that after passing water through an 'inhibitor' in to a kettle and then boiling the water, some of the scale is kept in suspension.

I once heard of an experiment, where the water was continually passing through an inhibitor to a heater and the water coming out tested for harness.

The result?

Some small changes were found in the hardness, but a slight alteration to either the flow rate or length of pipe
    Cancelled out the results

So, in my view, if it makes you feel good, do it!

On a separate issue, the water supplied to your homes is "wholesome" water, it's got local minerals in it.

It's good for you, so.......... you make the call.......

Regards
    Peter

KIAB likes this.
  3. threeof

threeof New Member

Its being fitted with a magnetite trap, to help protect a combi boiler, so guess it could go on the flow to just that ?? although I read its best to fit one straight after the stop cock, but as you say - its 'wholesome', although I would read into that that the water does not come from a rat and pidgeon infested loft water tank (ie feeds straight in under water pressure) - but stand to be corrected.

Thanks for info, of course scale only occurs when the water is hot enough for precipitation !

4. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Scale reducers work when 1 mtr from heat source, they shrink scale particles on an atomic scale so they pass through and build up slower. Reducer not eliminator

5. threeof

threeof New Member

G&W - 1mt !, I have installed mine 5 meters before the boiler, and one meter before the kitchen sink tap (ie directly after the incoming stop cock).

So my drinking water will be soft and unwholesome, and scale particles no longer shrunk by the time they get to the boiler ?

6. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Scale reducers don't soften water, they reduce scale build up on an element or heat exchanger where the water is heated.
    The boiler one needs to be no more than 1mtr away.
    The one on the cold tap is more of a placebo