scale inhibitor.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by andson, Feb 16, 2005.

1. andson

andson New Member

i have just purchased a magnetic scalemaster scale inhibitor, over the internet to try and reduce my hard water, i thought i could just put it in to my mains coming in just after the the stop tap. the instructions in the box state its for individual appliances only, would it be a total waste of time installing it in this position. as all i want to do is reduce the furring a bit on my appliaces.
    many thanks andy..

2. slug

slug New Member

Is it the 'wrap apiece of wire around the pipe' type or an inline job?

Individual pipes to most fittings will be 15mm, mains water into the house will be bigger (22mm or 28mm)with a higher flow rate.

I don't know how these things work exactly (although have specced them for the last 15 years) but lower flow through the pipes has something to do with it.

Follow manufacturers instructions - if you put it on the incoming mains and doesn't work they will not give any refunds.

3. slug

slug New Member

And another point.

The fittings you most likely want to protect will be the HWS, therefore if you fit it to the cold feed to your cylinder (assuming gravity fed HWS) then you will be most of the way there (again this will be a bigger pipe than for an individual fitting).

Fitting the magnetic treatment device to one tap wont do a lot of good, as scale tends to be a problem in boilers (which should have an chemical inhibitor in the circuit), HWS cylinder, shower rose and kettle - might protect the washing machine though.

4. andson

andson New Member

cheers slug, its an inline jobby, 15mm the pipe up to and after the stop tap is 15mm also, theres no receipt with this item;) so i was just gonna bang it in after the tap.
    andy,..