Scrathced Worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Rob290482, May 11, 2009.

1. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

I have got 2 small scrathced on my new worktop i think it was when i was putting the wall units on the wall and resting them on the worktop. 1 scratch is about 2 inch long, very thin line but noticable when dry (when wet it blends in fine) the other scratch is a bit smaller, but is sort of a scribbe shape and covered about 1 inch by half inch size.

I was thinking of getting some color fill (matching colour) would this be fine? and how would i do it? just put a tiny dot on it and rub it in?

At the moment i have a chopping block over the bigger of them and i think the kettle will cover where the other 1 is, but i would prefer to fix them as well (or fix them as best i can)

the owrktop is an Axiom worktop in Midnight Stone colour and i think there is a colorfill to match

Rob

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

All that effort to cut the sink hole and you scratch it anyway :^O

3. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

ye. lol. Actually though, the sink hole is great. I honestly think it was the feller who done the butt and scribe join, but it could also have been me with the wall units. However, the bottoms of the wall units are smooth and dont have any screws in, so i dont know how the scratches would have got there by the wall units (they look like screws have been rubbed on it or some other metal rubbed over)

Either way i cant actually blame the feller as i cant be certain.

Would the colourfill work to 'hide' tha marks? I know they wont be invisable or go completely, but i ideally need to darken them a little to blend in.

Rob

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not sure if colorfill would work, how about using a permanent felt pen in a suitable colour.

5. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

i just ordered some colourfill in the matching colour as it says ots for chips and scratches as well as joins so hopefully it will work.

i think what i will try is put a tiny dit on the scratch and rub it in fast so its basically flat and smooth and just to darken the lightened bit. the last thing i want is to have a raised bit that looks bad and is rough (as it will catch eveytime its wiped / cleaned.

6. KITCHEN MAN

KITCHEN MAN New Member

try some t cut polish that may do the trick
    it has for me in the past
    km

7. libertyfitting

libertyfitting New Member

What colour is the worktop?
    Black permanent markers cover a multitude of sins
    I dont think that color fill will work as the scratch is probably not deep enough.
    Try a wax crayon/ blend the crayons to get the right colour

www.libertyfittingservice.co.uk

8. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

colourfil wont work, too sallow as said. Black marker is a good start, or perhaps baby oil (keeps it looking wet).

9. Accreditor

Accreditor New Member

Suggestions. Take a look in Homebase or Wickes, they both sell very similar kits to repair scratches and chips in laminate flooring. You get some pots of different colour filler (you can mix the colours to get a good match) to fill the scratch and a pot of clear top coat This might work.

Another suggestion is a good quality car paint cleaner and polish such as Klasse All-In-One. I've got some of this and you can safely use it on clear plastic without causing swirl marks. You simply wipe it on with a damp cloth and then buff off. It 'fills' light scratches and swirl marks on car paint very effectively. You could also consider filling the scratches with clear modelers paint (eg Humbrol) or Nail Varnish and them use Klasse All-In-One to polish off the residue if neccessary.

Would be best to test any repair method on a spare bit of worktop first.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sorry, I couldn't bear to look at the title anymore.

11. libertyfitting

libertyfitting New Member

12. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

I would have corrected the spelling mistake, but couldn't figure out how to. lol. I think I should double check before posting next time.

13. loftmonkey

loftmonkey New Member

spray cellulose clear lacquer on it (after masking it out ) let it dry for at least a day . polish with t cut . go across the scratch. safe

14. mad.max

mad.max New Member

My missus dropped a heavy something onto the edge of our new worktop, and the laminate actually came away over about 5mm. I suprglued the piece back in place, and used shoe polish to hide joins. Amazingly, it worked!

15. Laminatesolutions

Laminatesolutions New Member

This is the type of repair we carry out please check out our website www.laminatesolutions.co.uk