Screw / bolt extracting

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Tilt, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I need to try and remove a screw / bolt that is securing a Euro Cylinder lock (it's a thumbturn) at work.

I guess it is an M4 bolt with a PZ2 countersunk head.
    Unfortunately someone has had a go at it before and for whatever reason the head is mashed. No grip with any bits.

I have never used screw extractors before and wondering if they are likely to work as I will have to convince them to purchase some?
    Also wondered if a reverse rotation drill bit may work better, or at all. I'm not sure why it got stuck in the first place and I have not been in this particular job very long.

We actually need the code off of the cylinder, to match it for another.

Any experiences, advice and sensible ideas welcomed.

Cheers

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Can you look down on the screw and see if there is some slightly protruding if so get a chisel and hammer and knock the screw down in an anti clockwise movement making grooves in the top edge as you unscrew it. Had landlord deliberately round the euro screw off and this is how i undid the screw.

Tilt likes this.
  3. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I looked at it yesterday and noticed that it looks like it has been very tightly done up, the head is slightly below the surface of the faceplate.

Good shout but I do not think this is an option unfortunately.

Cheers.

4. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

I've used various types of screw extractor in the past, and can honestly say that in my experience they are utterly useless!
    My normal method is to use a nice sharp centre punch and tap the head of the screw head in an anti clockwise direction until it moves, then get a flat head screwdriver in whatever is left of the head recess to unscrew it the rest of the way.

Tilt likes this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I did manage to get a screw out the other day with a Trend Grabit after I thought I was beaten.
    These screws are often philips rather than PZ2 so they get mashed up by people using the wrong bit in the first place.

Tilt likes this.
  6. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

7. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Cheers....... do they have quite a sharp thread to grab the screw head?????

I cannot see a blunt thread working but a sharp thread might just do it, this is why I am considering a left hand drill bit.....

Only problem is when the boss sees the price of these he will go out and buy the cheapest he can find ......... He will, even if I tell him the cheaper ones probably will not work, Lol.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A left hand drill bit is a good shout. The product I used is double ended. You 'burnish' the damage with one end and then swap the bit round and use the left hand thread to wind the screw out - all on reverse of course.

Tilt likes this.