Screw finder??

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by bassman, Apr 13, 2006.

1. bassman

bassman New Member

Hi,
    I have just bought a Makita cordless drill/driver from Screwfix, and with it came an accessory kit containing drills, driver blades hole saws etc, all very useful. But also in it are two bits of grey plastic, tubular about 35mm high 13mm diameter, a hole running through the middle a spring inside, and labelled 'Screw finder'. These have me totally baffled as to what they do and how. Can anyone help please?

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo bassman and welcome:D:D;)

insert long screwdriver bit into the grey bit insert into driver
    hold screw where you want it locate the driver bit on the screw[the grey shroud will push back when you take your fingers out
    big all

3. bassman

bassman New Member

Hi Big All, and thanks. Oh how I laughed! Springs and clips everywhere, but luckily there were 2 in the kit so I have one left! I tried to push a long screwdriver bit into the 'thing' and it wouldn't fit, so obviously I shoved it in the other end, and it all flew apart, and I have lost one of the parts. So having done all this, what is it supposed to do when your bit is in it? Is it some sort of screw holder so as not to use your fingers? Cheers,

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

never actualy used one so i am assuming you hold the plastic on the "work" whilst screwing in and that prevent "falling off" the screw
    think off all that extra fun youve had chasing springs round the house

as an aside 90% OF SCREWS USE A POZI PZ2 BIT
    big all

CGN likes this.
  5. The Necromancer

The Necromancer New Member

They're predominantly meant for use with flat head bits with power tools where, unlike with pozidrive and philps screws which can be driven obliquely, these screws need to be driven perpendicular. The screw fixer is meant to hold the screw in-line with the bit whilst screwing into the workpiece. However they must be taken off for the final screwing in as the dead space of the fixer gets in the way. Many people are of the opinion that the fiddling with the deice outweighs the usefulness so they are either unused, broken through misuse or discarded. I got three in a new birthday present 204 piece Tooltec kit and have not used them.

6. pod6

pod6 New Member

not only a useless device, but also dangerous. I tried to work out what it was for, poked a screwdriver in one end , the dam* thing flew apart and hit me in the eye. product should be withdrawn !

CrowdLeader likes this.
  7. CrowdLeader

CrowdLeader New Member

I had exactly the same problem. A fairly strong spring being retained by a tiny bit of glue.

This product is a much better solution!
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-stubby-retracting-screwholder-bit-holder-hex-shank/85945