Screw for Euro cylinder

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Jitender, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have fitted one of these locks to the outbuilding door, when I came to fit the cylinder the screws were too short form some I have. None were provided in the box.

[​IMG]

It needs to be 70mm in length, I have checked the diameter of the screw bolt and it is 4.76mm dia. Will a M5 screw bolt work as seems finer thread? It's the screw that hold the cylinder in place.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What make is lock.

Engineer merchant should be able to match bolt thread, M5 diameter is very close to your dimensions.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The original lock on the door was a rim lock, but always found it a struggle as key had to be long and trying to locate it in the keyhole was tricky.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

These are the recommended fixings.

https://www.locksonline.com/M5-6-Lobe-Machine-Screws-Countersunk-Star-Drive-7066.html

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/AMF-Versatile-Rim-Deadlock-for-Gates-Doors.html

See FAQ's page 2.

- Is it possible to fix this lock with tamper proof fixings, rather than just screws?

Our answer:

Hi Karen,

Of course there would be no problem using anti-tamper / machine screws for the fitting - you'd need M5 tamper bolts such as these ones found on our sister-site: https://www.locksonline.com/buy/M5-6-Lobe-Machine-Screws-Countersunk-Star-Drive-7066.html

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I watched the video, and can see when the guy shows the packed of screws, there is no M5 screw.

The length of screws they don't seem to sell, I have one which is 55mm, but to short.

Going to wait for the seller to respond.

7. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Don't wait for the seller. As he said 'requires cylinder lock' then the screw for the cylinder lock would be supplied with the cylinder, not the part you have.

Jitender likes this.
  8. HarDeBloodyHarHar

Will this one come with the screw?

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Never thought of that, every cylinder I have purchased has come supplied with a screw.

The one I am looking at doesn't mention about the screw, and if it did I don't think it would be the 70mm long length I'm after.

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Look on Amazon for Euro cylinder, I needed one last week that was a strange size, (95mm long with a 40/55 off set with thumb turn on inside) the only place I could find one was Amazon for the Bargain price of 14.99 and it came with a 75mm bolt.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I will try tomorrow if a standard M5 bolt will work in these euro cylinders. Something I want to find out.

12. HarDeBloodyHarHar

Bit confusing. Sounds like you already had a cylinder?

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If all you need is an M5x70mm countersunk machine screw why don't you just buy one?

14. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I would have thought it more M6 than M5 though.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The cylinder I had is slightly short, I thought something is better than nothing until I find the correct one.

At the minute I am not sure whether an M5 bolt will work but will check tomorrow. If it works than the bolt is only something like a few quid.

I checked the diameter of the thread using a vernier and it comes to 4.76mm

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is that the external of the bolt or the internal of the tapped hole?

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is the external of the bolt threads (i.e overall thickness). Not sure pitch of thread as seems finer than standard bolt, but need to confirm this with one.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Take the cylinder to B&Q and check with their stock, pretty positive it's M5 and as the whole point of eurolocks is their interchangeability I doubt it's an odd pitch.

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Will check tommorw and update. If it is than simple job.

20. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

It is M5 just looked it up.

Jitender likes this.