Screwfix and the Troll

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Starslikedust, Nov 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Dear Screwfix

Please remember that you have legal obligations regarding the publication of posts on the site. It does not matter if it is the troll if you take insufficient steps to stop the publication.

There is a handy guide here if you are unsure.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/obscene-publications

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I simply do not understand why SF allow "new" members to post repeatedly without being verified...

Why aren't first time posters checked by a moderator before their content is made visible?

3. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Can’t quite believe that picture’s still there this morning. I thought this was a relatively recent phenomenon, but a bit of Googling reveals that it’s been going on for YEARS. Pathetic.

EVERY other forum I contribute to requires the first post to be approved by mods as Bianco says. Would kill this nonsense overnight.

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I posted in the Screwfix Select forum last night regarding this, and this morning I have had a warning for inappropriate language, my post has been deleted and no response regarding my question about what is being done and why they don't have his name and contact details.

This is becoming an absolute joke!

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've not had a warning yet although I don't feed the troll
    Mental health issues I guess so you are not going to win.
    Could do with evening mods just to suspended any post until it can be reviewed. Not sure why that's not done but not my forum.
    My advise is ignore. Hard as that is sometimes.

just pumps likes this.
  6. Bazza-spark

Yes, but the photo he put on the forum last night was obscene. I reported it and asked the question what was being done to stop him. It appears absolutely nothing other than warning me for "Inappropriate Language".

7. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

These individuals must be traceable?

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

They can block his ip address and also contact his isp.

9. woodbutcherbower

The worst thing about all this is the deafening silence from the admins and mods. They obviously couldn’t give a monkeys. Typical corporate, head-in-the-sand, stone-age attitudes to genuine concerns are alive and well in 2021. Since this forum is all about promoting the company and increasing sales, maybe I should take my very substantial annual SF spend to TS instead.

Get your act together, Screwfix.

gadget man and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  10. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

problem with TS is that their website is pretty rubbish - very limited ability to filter products according to what specification you need, whereas SF website is pretty good at that

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  11. woodbutcherbower

True enough. But having had a careful think, literally everything I buy could be sourced elsewhere. I’d love to think that somewhere in the SF organisation, there’s a meeting taking place right now with people saying “This can’t go on. We have to do something about this.” But based on past performance, I think I’m probably in the realms of fantasy.

12. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

The troll is actually quite smart. Seems to have many digs at people time and time again. Much of its work is related to old posts etc.
    Last nights pictures a step too far. Esp when an open forum with no restrictions etc

Bazza-spark likes this.
  13. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

As a mod on a different forum I remove unwanted posts around five times a day, I have tools to remove trolls and ban them via their ip address but with a VPN it is harder than some think.

Best thing to do is to report, ignore and leave it to the mods here.

screwfix.peter likes this.
  14. woodbutcherbower

I was mentioned by name last night, so it would seem that I'm now on his radar.

Come on then, screwfix.peter - I know you're reading this thread because you just 'liked' justpumps comment above. What are your plans to stop this? Why don't you start approving new members first posts when you know full well that such an action would kill this problem stone dead? Please give a definitive and reasonable answer. We collectively spend a huge amount of money with your company, and this is hacking a LOT of people off.

15. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Probably as most, I also frequent another forum where once established, some of the posters become moderators....

Is this possible on this site and would any of the above posters be interested???

No good me volunteering............... wouldn't have a clue what to do.

I haven't come across the offending post/s, at least yet.

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've got a mate that mods on a site. There are around 5 logged in watching although they don't always sit reading everything. They try and jump on stuff so that was interesting watching how that all worked. Think that's the problem as you need a few to cover 24 7.

17. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

A few of us have volunteered to become moderators in the past, but it fell on deaf ears.

I can only assume that SF want to keep it to their own staff, but clearly there aren't enough of them

Tilt likes this.
  18. Bazza-spark

Normally I woulld agree, however I reported the photo as soon as it was put up, yet 9 hours later it was still there.

Grand total of 2 I believe, Peter and Natalie.

Nobody expects them to be here 24/7, but what is the point of having a report button when nobody takes any notice till the next day?

When you sign up for an account you have to give a valid email address etc. They must know who he is and have the ability to contact him.

stevie22 likes this.
  19. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

It probably creates a new throw away address - plenty of providers out there, uses that to sign up then creates another the next day.

Time to create email, then account, then ...

just pumps likes this.