Screws for fixing green oak

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Marko, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Marko

Marko Guest

Can anyone advise me please? I need to fix 1.25 inch thick green oak planks to green oak posts to make decking and steps. Do I use 4.5 x 70mm gold screws, or the turbo gold screws? (Or do I have to use stainless steel to avoid corrosion from green oak?)

For screws of this diameter would I be advised to drill pilot holes, or should the wood and the screws stand it without?

Thanks for your time. M

2. PowerTool

PowerTool New Member

I would go for stainless,or the green organic coated type.
    Personally,nearly always drill pilot holes,using flip'n'drive - drills pilot,clearance and countersink in one.I only drill pilot holes all the way through on thicker wood - but green oak might need them even at this thickness (unless you have a big hefty drill/driver.. :) )

3. Dewy

Dewy New Member

STAINLESS STEEL.
    Normal nails will react with the tannins in the oak, stain the wood and rot away in time.

4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

As the others say go for stainless,If you use the turbo ultra's you will only need to drill clearance in the top boards, they will go into the green oak no problem.

I used them to fix the spindles on this deck, the frame is all held together with Mortice & tennons and oak pegs.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/Oast%20Deck/

Jason

5. Blade

Blade New Member

Yes; Oak, along with fir, chetnut and willow have high levels of tannin (as much as 10% in the bark) and will react with ordinary screws to form a blue stain in the wood and a rotting screw. I've not used stainless steel but expect they'll be OK. Otherwise you're back to traditional oak pegs.... not for the faint hearted!
    Great deck Jason!
    Cheers David