Screws or Nails for Stud Wall

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ChrisCC90, Feb 3, 2021.

1. ChrisCC90

ChrisCC90 New Member

Evening all,

Im going to be building a stud wall in my garage as part of a conversion. Im fairly handy but wish to clarify something.

Would you recommend Screws or Nails for constructing it?
    I have a nail gun, impact driver, hammer drill so am not limited by tools, just after what would be considered the best approach for a DIYer.

Also - im using 3x2s with 400m spacing - what size nail/screw would you recommend? The sides and bottom will be brick/concrete. Whereas the top will be into the roof joists above.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Chris

2. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I'd go for screws as it will be easier to disassemble/reassemble if you need to tweak something or, heaven forbid , drop the odd clanger! 4" screws.

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Both adequate for the job in hand so whatever you feel most at ease with

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Nails are quicker - although probably not cheaper.

4.5 or 5 x 80/90 screws and chose a cutter such as Reisser - still fairly quick to do and you can remove and redo if you need. May need some 100/120 if you want to do any at an angle though.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y - I would use 5 x 100 and diagonal screw where can't go straight in. Reissers are great.

6. CosD

CosD Active Member

I used a pasload nail gun for one room and screws in another. The nail gun is much faster. The odd piece you need to take out and adjust is outweighed by ease and speed of it.

Both ways are OK for a single wall.

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

My shed uses 5x80 Reisser Cutters - mainly because I had a bucket full! The noggins are held in with 2 from each end and there is no problem using the noggins as steps to climb up.