Scribing skirting board

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by andym, Jul 8, 2004.

1. andym

andym New Member

Anyone out there that knows a site i can go on to learn about scribing skirting board?

Thanks
    Andy

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

You scribe inside corners only. The external corners need to be correctly mitred.
    Fit one piece into corner with no mitre cuts. Piece that butts up to it to form the corner needs mitring at 45° then take a coping saw and saw at a steeper angle so that the blade follows the outsite face. Once finished it should butt against the 1st piece looking as if it was mitred. The hollow behind the coping cut can't be seen.

3. Duke

Duke New Member

What do you need to know exactly?

Imagine the skirting is painted. Lay the board face up on the mitre saw bed. Tilt the blade to 45 degrees off the vertical (or horizontally if your mitre saw has the height to cut the board upright) and cut. Where the painted edge ends is the exact line you need to cut to match the mould of the 1st piece. Cut using a coping saw, angle the blade into the back of the board to hollow out the back.

If the first board isn't perfectly vertical, you will need to adjust the inital cut accordingly.

Difficult to explain in words, but is actually very simple in practice.

4. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

" If the first board isn't perfectly vertical, you will
    need to adjust the inital cut accordingly."

The simple way to achieve that is to first cut a short piece of skirting with an internal mitre on both ends,

now cut the scribes as described in the previous post,

keep this bit as a pattern,

put the skirting to be fixed in position in the corner against the first piece already fixed and scribe the angle on the second bit,

take it back to the bench and align the pattern piece with the scribed mark,

now mark around the front face of the pattern,

and then either cut the whole thing by hand with a coping saw and panel saw,

or reset your mitre saw to angle shown on the skirting and cut at 45 deg. with that and then finish off with the coping saw.

5. andym

andym New Member

Think i know what to do now! first piece of skirting cut straight and butted up in to corner, next piece mitred at 45, butt it up to first piece,pencil mark along mitre cut on to 1st piece of skirting, and then cut with coping saw.Does that seem ok?

Thanks

Andy

6. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

No need to mitre the second piece before you offer it up to the corner.

The purpose of the mitre on that piece is to give you the line for the scribe( following the cut line on the face of the skirting), this will only give you the true line if your walls/corners are 100% upright, hence the need for the scribe.

7. andym

andym New Member

Thanks for that John! some good advice given. I feel confident now to see the job through, keep watching though, I might cock it up and need some more help.

Andy

8. Buckingham Palace

Buckingham Palace New Member

Sometimes its useful to use a compass especially if you haven't got an off cut of the skirting or can't be bothered to cut a bit off to use. Butt the uncut skirting up to the fixed and open the compass about an 1 inch. Now using the sharp point of the compass and keeping it horizontal with the pencil scribe down the fixed skirting following the shape and at the same time drawing a pencil line on the new piece. Use a coping saw and cut at a slight angle following the pencil line. This way it doesn't matter if the fixed skirting is not verticle, is warped or filled with paint. With practice you'll get a very snug fit. Job done and no need for a mitre saw either.

9. andym

andym New Member

Another piece of good advice, Thanks BP!

10. panlid

panlid New Member

if you are right handed start by putting your first fuul piece in the near right hand side corner first as it easier to cut the scribes on hte right hand end of each lenght

11. Da Chippy

Da Chippy New Member

This is a similar way to how I would do it but instead of using your piece of skirting to fit,use an offcut and make it into a pattern,cut an internal mitre on both ends and cut around with a coping saw,then whenever you need to cut your scribed joint just use the pattern to draw around,hope that makes sense;)!!!
    Stu

12. Handyboy

Handyboy New Member

13. Doink

Doink New Member

Its dead easy if you've done it before or do it for a living but trying to explain how to do it to a beginner is virtually impossible even though doing it is easy.

That was a good link handyboy

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I don't get all this cutting a 45° mitre before cutting the scribe.

What is the point of this ?
    I don't see any advantage.

Surely, the 'mitre' line will be at the thickness of the skirting, so easily marked, and if the first skirting is NOT square(vertically) then the mitre cut will be useless, as that WILL be square.

I have always mitred only, packing to square first makes it easy to get a good fit.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

The 45 before the scribe gives you the line to cut at. And if you wanna be precise, on corners that aren't square vertically you would use a compass scribe or butt your length up to the piece you want to scribe and use an offcut infront and against the piece your scribing to, to give you your line to which you need to mitre 1st.

I thought that was pretty straight forward myself...

16. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

17. dual193

dual193 New Member

I have not been on the board for ages and this topic is always on, I thought everyone in the world knew how to do this now..

18. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

They forget and have to ask again. Without realising there's a search button!