scribing?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by pollardz, Oct 6, 2007.

1. pollardz

pollardz New Member

as a new joiner what is the best way to scribe skirting boards

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

lay the skirting on its back in the chopsaw and make a 45 degree bevel cut

cut to the edge with your jigsaw and back cut it

if you need a perfect joint, scribe the lower section with a compass and use the jigsaw again

3. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

This is the way I was taught.
    Cut a right and left scribe on a piece of scrap skirting about 10" long and use this to mark all your scribes.
    Mark a square line and put your pattern piece to it to mark the scribed bit.
    The square line can be adjusted like deedsy says or by under or overcutting the 90 degree cut.

4. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Its the modern day now.

If you are going to be doing loads knock a jig up and use your router.

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

a large part of scribing is done by "feel" and "look"

you cant make a jig that does these things

6. Trog

Trog New Member

Blimey mr Kipling your method seems to be extremely awkward just to scribe skirting. I'm with Dirtydeeds on this one.

7. peterob

peterob New Member

im with dirty deeds on that one mitre it then jigsaw the profile out cant get easy than that like he says theres a feel to it not many skirts without cups in em these days

8. Trog

Trog New Member

Always scribe (where practicable) so that the scribed joint is away from your sight line when you walk through the door as well. So you would start off with the first piece fixed to the wall opposite the door and then scribe into it.

9. Trog

Trog New Member

This topic is going to get messy again especially when Handy shandy starts spouting off about mitreing and not scribing. Good job us craftsmen got in first. :)

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

ive left the bomb shelter already

im heading for the nuclear bunker ;)

11. fatdragon

fatdragon New Member

agree with yorkshireboy. template with l and r scribe on it etc. am i old fashioned - i like to cut the straight bit on chopsaw or panel saw and the moulded bit with a coping saw. jigsaw is quick but can be clumsy (in my hands at least)

12. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

fat dragon, it was until i got a festool body grip jigsaw

altough i now see makita have a body grip

13. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

wot happened to the handsaw and coping saw.are we joiner's or machinists.

14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

agreed

until an 8 or 10 tpi coping saw meets modern softwood

where can i get a coping saw blade with 18 tpi

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I agree with fatdragon.

Cut the straight bit with saw and the profile with coping saw(keeping each cut slightly more off the back).

How do you get on with the more intricate mouldings ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

16. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

intricate mouldings

clamp the skirting to a work bench / workmate

body hold jig saw run at high speed, low feed rate, brace right hand with left hand over right wrist

and plenty of practice ;)

17. damo

damo New Member

Use of a decent coping saw always works for me. Mitre the skirting board so that the cross section of the profile is exposed,carefuly cut around the profile setting the angle back slightly. Pencil line around the profile if that helps. As mentioned, you can use a compass to mark the scribe or an off cut of the profile as a template. Any way works well wether using a jigsaw or coping saw, it just takes a bit of practice.
    Ive always found that the spear and jackson elcipse coping saws are very good for cutting softwoods or hardwoods, you can pick them up for around a tenner.

18. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

I still use a coping saw but to be honest i,ve never tried using a jigsaw.Doesn,t it splinter the face?

19. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Ditto. I use a coping saw, though I know guys on site that use jigsaws.

There's no reason why it shouldn't work with a fine & narrow width blade.

20. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Gotta agree that using a router and jig IS overkill but if doing loads, once setup in the bench and plugged in would only take about 3 seconds for each scribe and it would be very neat. Your jig would have to be specific to the skirt moulding in question and adjustable for out of plumb walls but this all adds fun to the making process when your bored on a Sunday morning waiting for the pub to open.
    Either that, or sit on here and abuse people. The choice as they say, is yours, ;)