Scroll saw upper blade clamp at ..

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by VinylBlair, Nov 5, 2018.

1. VinylBlair

VinylBlair New Member

Hi,, I've bought a scroll saw off Fleabay which is powered by a hand drill it seems very well made and probably dates from the 80s?, my problem is there is no upper blade clamp or anyway to tension the blade and the blade runs through a 4.1mm (internal diameter) steel tube which is locked in place/adjusted by a thumb screw. My idea i to clamp the blade to a 4mm brass rod and run the rod inside the tube and anchor a spring from the rod to the top of the tube so I can tension the blade by lifting the tube(the rod will steady the blade hopefully)? what would be the best way to clamp the blade without buying a tap and die set (i have a dremal/cutting discs/drill/vice etc) also the brass rod doesn't have to slide all the way into the steel tube so the clamping system can be bigger than the internal tube diameter....Many thanks Sean.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

You can buy second hand tap and die sets quite cheaply and it would expand your tinkering range :)

VinylBlair likes this.
  3. VinylBlair

VinylBlair New Member

I might just bite the bullet and do that fella I was scared of breaking the tap (bad experience in past)......thanks for the quick reply.

4. chippie244

If you drill the correct size hole, generally 1mm thinner than the tap, you shouldn't have a problem.

VinylBlair likes this.
  5. VinylBlair

VinylBlair New Member

If I'm threading a 4mm brass rod which size die should i use, m4 or m3?

6. chippie244

M3 I would think but I don't know what the id is.