SDS Chuck Adaptor

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by mortirlolo, Nov 16, 2014.

1. mortirlolo

mortirlolo New Member

I brought this SDS drill today:
    Energer ENB465DRH 4.8kg SDS Plus Rotary Hammer Drill 230-240V
    Product Code: 63303

Works great on my concrete floor, installed some ground anchors with ease in my garage.

I would also like to use this SDS drill for other purposes around the house in normal drill mode, rather than buying a 18v drill.

Can you please recommend a SDS Chuck Adaptor to use with my normal drill set so chucks can easily be swapped.

Cheers.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You would be better off getting a cordless drill/driver or impact wrench. That drill is intended for heavy use and will be quite heavy.

3. Yeah i agree trying to use an sds as a wood drill or a drill driver is like using a sledgehammer to drive a nail not impossible but a lot harder and clumsy than using the right tool for the job

4. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Must disagree to some extent. I have a Makita 240 volt (can't remember the model No..2410 ?) with interchangable chucks. Great for large dia holes. Of course, for small dia holes in metal or timber, a small cordless or 240v every time. Horses for courses;)

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

My Metabo KHE26 2kg SDS came with interchangeable chucks as well, its 110V. Can be useful for drilling large holes. Has been a very reliable drill and have used it to drill large core holes up to 162mm. Your Makita weighs 2.3kg, whereas his is 4.8kg.

6. mortirlolo

mortirlolo New Member

Decided I'm going to purchase an 18V cordless drill instead. Yes it is quiet heavy. This drill anyway did a great job for what I wanted, I managed to get rid of a concrete path as well with ease.

cheers all

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think you'll find that the 'kg' refers to the force of the hammer action, not the weight of the machine!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Or KJ - joules is a unit of energy, so KJ = 1000 Joules

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

No Handy, I think you've got that wrong. I agree with JG, our 2Kg drills bash out about 3Joules.I think that the OP is talking about a 5Kg type drill, which is a bit lumpy for drilling ordinary holes ,although great for bashing holes in concrete. :)

10. Mr. Handyandy

Try weighing any drill(hammer) that specifies kg, and you will see that there is no relation to the kg and the weight of the machine.
    The kg is the force that the hammer action provides.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Mr. Handyandy

It gets worse. Screwfix have 3 sds drills, 2kg.

Respectively, their weights are 2.3kg, 2.6kg and 2.9kg.

None of the 'impact' descriptions relate either(2.9J and 1.6J)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Owain

Owain Member

Maybe "Screwfix kg" are a bit like "Argos watts" on music systems.

13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p