SDS Drill bit broken inside chuck

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Springbok43, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Springbok43

Springbok43 Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any methods to remove a broken drill bit from an SDS titan drill?

I had a Tradesmen use it the other day without my knowledge and he managed to break it (and did not even tell me).

I am now unable to secure bits into the drill - they merely fall out. I have shone a torch into it and it looks like a drill bit has snapped inside and the section which has the teeth is lodged inside.

I have tried to pull back the mechanism for releasing the bit whilst having it spinning but that hasn't worked. It is really wedged into the teeth.

Thanks,

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Just had the same problem with an old Erbauer SDS drill. Guess the same principle might apply. Lever off the rubber chuck cover, pull back the chuck sleeve as if inserting a bit and you will see it is held by a split ring. Revove the split ring ideally with a pair of circlip pliers and the outer sleeve will come off. You may then see a hole beneath the broken piece of drill bit, just lever the broken bit out with an old screwdriver and reassemble.

Springbok43 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  3. Springbok43

Springbok43 Member

Thanks will give that a go.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dynamite

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Put a padlock on ur drill case

Springbok43 likes this.
  6. Springbok43

Springbok43 Member

Yea Nigel. Rather frustrating that I have to hide and lock away tools like this but appears necessary.

7. Salty99

Salty99 New Member

Just fixed this problem on a Titan SDS drill that had a broken drill bit stuck down in the SDS chuck. Should work for any SDS chuck I would think. I tried a few ways of trying to fish it out and knock it out first; they did not work but this did using 5 minute epoxy....
    1. Don't try any lubricants in the chuck as you will want to get a good bond on the broken end of the drill bit.
    2. Pull back the spring-loaded chuck sleeve, prise off the circlip and slip off the washer and spring.
    3. Get a countersunk wood screw with as large a head as will fit down the chuck. File/grind the head to make a better key for the epoxy.
    4. Mix-up the two-art epoxy and put a small dob on the screw head. Not too much as you do not want the excess to squeeze out and bond the broken end of the drill bit to the inside of the chuck!
    5. Set the SDS drill with the chuck vertically upright. Insert inverted wood screw and press gently square-on to the broken-off end of the drill bit. Pack around as necessary to keep wood screw aligned with chuck while the glue sets-off.
    6. Give is a couple of hours for the epoxy to gain some extra strength then try gently pulling on the wood screw.
    7. If it does not want to come, and it did not for me, spray a little WD40 or such like penetrating lubricant onto the two small steel balls in the holes in the exposed shaft of the chuck. The grease can have gone stiff and sticky with age and use but they should then drop out.
    8. Give it 10 minutes or so for the penetrating lubricant to do its work and pull gently on the wood screw.
    This worked for me and the broken-off bit came out easily.
    Knowing what I know now, I would try skipping step 2 in the first instance and try to remove the bit without having to dismantle the chuck.
    Good luck!

jSmale and Powerelec like this.