SDS plus / SDS max

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by gardm1nt, Jan 15, 2005.

1. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I currently spend a lot of time subbing for a several local sparks this primeraly consists of cutting chases and socket boxes using an EBS, and very Ocashionly running cabeling. (The sparks does all the connections). Plus making good afterwards. The other work is for a plumber along the same lines (plastering tiling, core cutting etc) I currently used a metabo sds for the above however it was stolen on friday ( the key code thing makes no difference when crooks realise it cannot be used it will get chucked. I now seek a replacement.

My first choice is the makita 4kg sds plus 110v drill I never use the sds for small holes (sledge hammer to crack a nut)( i use either a dewal 18v cordless or a corded mains) I wonder if I could not just use a Bosch 5kg sds max combi, using an sds max to plus adapter. Have any of you used this combo? would the extra power damage the EBS

The Bosch's extra blow force would come in handy for small breaking jobs, mixing and core cutting ( the metabo was slightly under powerd for this. I seldom chisel chases with the metabo as i use a Bosch chaser.

Any thoughts apreciated - Paul

2. pete267

pete267 New Member

What is the difference between SDS plus & SDS Max ?

3. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

SDS plus is used on the less powerful Drills SDS max is a more heavy duty chuck. The drills and chisels differ in size accordingly however as mentioned you can use an adapter...

4. PARTLY PEED

PARTLY PEED New Member

i find the dewalt 24v with rotostop an excellent bit of kit but as a sparky im not chaseing all day like your goodself so it probably overheat

5. bighairybloke

bighairybloke New Member

I've got a cheap unbranded sds-max. Loads more torque than my bosch 4kg sds+. Problem I had was using a 4" sds+ core with a + to max adaptor in the big one. Core jammed in the wall and it ripped the sds fitting off the arbor before the clutch in the drill slipped!!!! Armeg core, not a cheapo one.

6. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

This is what I fear