SDS

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by minbin, Jul 7, 2004.

1. minbin

minbin New Member

So,
    What exactly do the TLA (three letter acronyms) SDS (Max and plus) and TCT stand for?
    Mate of mine said it was German!

2. Stoday

Stoday New Member

TCT = Tungsten Carbide T*ts. Wow!

3. Dewy

Dewy New Member

SDS has already been answered on here a few times.
    Try Slotted Drive System.

TCT has already been answered except the filtered word is Tips. ;)

4. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

This appears on the black and decker website (curtesy of an earlier post)

'SDS stands for “Schnell Drilling System”. Originally developed by Bosch®, SDS bits are widely used in larger rotary hammer drills. The special slot milled into the bit provides greater holding power when compared to round shank bits in a standard three-jaw chuck. The extra holding power is required when working in heavy-duty masonry drilling operations.'

5. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Well translated that means 'quick drilling system' and I would have thought that all drills are, well, quick. I think Dewy is right with slotted drive system as the drill bits are held from twisting under the greater torque that these drills produce. It may refer to the speed in changing bits as you pull back the collet and it releases the bit. With SDS plus the plus means that you can lock the rotary drive and just use hammer action for chiseling, or indeed both for hammer drilling.

I think that RLA stands for 'really large arms' which are needed to hold an SDS drill without a clutch.

DWD

6. billythekid

billythekid Member

I think that RLA stands for 'really large arms' which are needed to hold an SDS drill without a clutch.
    or the apprentice comes with you that day

7. sparkydude

sparkydude Member

SDS stands for So Damn Simple LoL