Sealant for metal flue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by yorkshireboy, Jan 6, 2009.

1. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

I am installing a woodburning stove and need to connect a piece of stovepipe between the cast iron stove top and the flexible chimney liner.
    does anyone know what kind of sealant or cement I will need on the joints.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Pack the spigot on the fire with ceramic rope, sealed with fire cement. Use the correct clamp for the flexi liner to the stove pipe. Make sure you get the right flexi liner for the fuel you intend to burn.
    Martin

3. mad.max

mad.max New Member

Is this in your own home, or a paying job. I strongly suspect that you aren't HETAS. If you're asking such basic stuff, what chance of you knowing rules on register plates, soot doors and flue liner - etc

4. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

you will need a twin wall stainless flue liner for a wood burner

5. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

register plates, soot doors and flue liner - etc

add ventilation to that list too

6. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Thanks Heatyman can the adaptor between 6" enamel stove pipe and flexible liner be sealed with fire cement or is a flexible sealant needed,it is about 1200mm away from the stove.
    Mad max you are right in suspecting I am not HETAS and it is for my own home.For what its worth I strongly suspect you are the sort of bore who can,t scratch his backside without consulting the regulations.I obtained the correct liner and flue by ringing a supplier and asking for a flue and liner for a multifuel stove,difficult stuff for a non hetas member.

7. mad.max

mad.max New Member

If you had bothered to take any notice, you would observe that I don't randomly insult contributors, or indulge in childish and petty name calling.

I stand by my query and statement . Yes, I do follow the rules, and take safety seriously. In my view, you shouldn't be fitting this stove - a solid fuel stove is potentially more dangerous than a modern gas boiler.

There has been a huge increase in sales of multi fuel stoves, and, sadly I predict a rise in fatality or incidents associated with CO poisoning. I would be interested in knowing wether any other guys share my misgivings.

8. sparkie 1

sparkie 1 New Member

does any of you lot ever have concerns about asbestos,
    loft insulation??

9. mad.max

mad.max New Member

loft insulation??

Is that a general, genuine, query, or a slight?

10. sparkie 1

sparkie 1 New Member

no, its strieght up! its just ive come across white stuff that looks like fibre glass but unsure about.

11. mad.max

mad.max New Member

Look at: Observe page 3

www.hsfb.co.uk/Downloads/Misc%20PowerPoints/Asbestos%20Awareness.ppt

12. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Your supplier of the other flue parts should be able to provide the correct clamp for the equipment he has already supplied. If you feel the need to supplement the arrangement with a sealer, then you will be better off with some Purimachos F.J.C., which is a flexible flue jointing compound and does 'what it says on the tin'. It stays flexible and takes up expansion and contraction.
    I took your original post as meaning you are lining an existing chimney. If you are not, then be sure to consider all the aspects of firestops and spacers through the rise.
    Martin

13. mad.max

mad.max New Member

There has been a huge increase in sales of multi fuel
    stoves and, sadly, I predict a rise in fatality or
    incidents associated with CO poisoning. I would be
    interested in knowing wether any other guys share my
    misgivings.

14. Gadgetman

Gadgetman New Member

Yorkshireboy, I strongly suggest you check your insurance. If you are fitting a log burner and it doesn't have a fitting certificate, you will NOT be insured. I am a huge DIY chap and I would not fit one myself. I watched and helped my installer fit ours and there are numerous things I didn't know but which are seriously important to safety. Saving money is fine, but at what price, the safety of your family. Madmax is absolutely right.

15. pipedream

pipedream New Member

flue standards is very important, dangerous if you get it wrong- get an engineer down