Sealant or Grout dilemma - porcelain floor tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by gary451, Nov 9, 2018.

1. gary451

gary451 New Member

Hi all,

Just halfway through my maiden tiling journey and got some uncertainty over how to finish where floor tile meets skirting board.

I am laying large format porcelain tiles on concrete substrate, all levelled with SLC and then primed just for good measure.

I have started to silicone sealant the edges but notice that it just seems to attract copious dog hair and dust, no matter how much I clean it off it just keeps coming back (especially in hall as this is high traffic area)

The wife was thinking of filling the edge with some grout instead as it will match better with the grout between the tiles (dark grey) than white silicone plus the dog hair issue will be 'less visible' shall we say.

Taking the existing skirt off and using a cut tile as an upskirring isnt an option as the interior doors dont have much clearance on the verticals so doors might not close/open properly.

As its not a bathroom/kitchen and its a concrete floor would this work/look good - and would it last!!

Keen to know what others would do in this situation

The tiles are 24" x 12" slightly marbled off white colour, semi matt finish. The grout used is dark grey which really sets the tile off and the existing silicone is white.

Thanks
    Gary

2. jimoz

jimoz Member

Popular way of finishing tiles in other parts of world. I know what you mean about silicone attracting ****. Think this question is all about personal preference. I reckon it would look good. Try a discreet part of hall first if unsure

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

Just grout it - it'll be fine.