Sealing a friable concrete floor.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CK335, May 4, 2018.

1. CK335

CK335 New Member

I'm looking to sort out the concrete floor in the garage, which is dusty but otherwise clean.

A sealer of some kind would do in the first instance; anything that will allow me to brush or wipe the surface clean. There seem to be hundreds of options out there (example), so looking for some guidance.

I've had a look at a few floor paints, but it sounds like these do not adhere well to bare dusty surfaces, even when brushed and vacuumed beforehand. An epoxy product might do the trick, mind.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  3. CK335

CK335 New Member

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would think so, as in info,they say it creates a hardwearing surface.

Not home at moment to look,but there might be a suitable floor paint for dusty floor available.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sweep floor to remove excess dust

2 coats SBR diluted to manufacturers recomendation for concrete sealing (wickes sell SBR 1ltr size, not sure on other places, often only 5 ltr size)

2 coats floor paint. I’ve used Leyland and it’s held up well to wear. Also take a look at Bedec Paints, superb products. They will also send you a free sample of paint/s if you contact them, you may want to give it a try first

As you say, floor paints will soon fail, but as most cases, due to poor or no prep - simple really