Sealing broken asbestos tiles, filling gaps

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by D S, Feb 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. D S

D S New Member

60s house has vinyl asbestos tiles under the carpet. Owner (family member) wants to replace the carpet with lino and has taken up the carpet grippers which has caused cracking all round the edge of the rooms. The black mastic likely contains asbestos too (but we forgot to sample this when we sent tile samples off for testing).

As the floor is mostly sound it seems sensible to paint the cracked edges with a bit of epoxy or sealant or something, and to fill in the gaps here and there where an inch or three of tile has cracked up. Then just chuck the lino on top of everything.

Would really appreciate some suggestions for what products to use here? Don’t want to screed/encapsulate the whole lot - just make it reasonably sound and level out the bigger gaps caused by broken bits of tile.
    Any thoughts?

cheers.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Ours we took up and took to council asbestos disposal bin years ago. Took the entire ground floor up in about 20mins as easy to pop them up. Never broke any other than all the smashed ones around the edge. House was empty at the time. Carpet fitters don't seem to worry about drilling them for door strips or nailing gripper through? Odd that..Black bitumen is still under our floor and nothing to worry about. I know one house near me paid £2000 for tiles to be taken away, and it took 3 days to remove them. Guess they must be have to remove one at a time or something. I'd just remove the broken bits and glue gripper down around the edge. Take advice on what's best but I thought they were low risk and better left alone. My father in law fitted 1000s of them and cut. Also asbestos sheets and gutter. He's in his 80s and got away with so far... Interesting talking to him about it though

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'd remove all the tiles tryg to lift up in full pueces. Bag up all the bits then rebag (double bag). Some tips will accept limited amounts of asbestos so linf as rs double up. You may want to check what the guidelines are on website.

Check floo levelness. But would be incline to useseld levelling compound on while area before lino goes down.