Sealing Floorboards to stop smells from next door.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by CactusDiy8848, May 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. CactusDiy8848

CactusDiy8848 New Member

Hi all, recently beginning to have a problem with choice odours (cannabis) coming through from next door. Figured the smell must be getting through their ceiling and through a gap in the party wall and is then coming through the 1st floor floorboards our side.

My plan is to lift carpet and underlay and a few floorboards to inspect party wall and see if I can seal off anything obvious. I was then going to seal the gaps between floorboards, lay some 5mm ply and tape the joints off, seal the skirting etc and then put carpet and underlay back down. Is this likely to help and are there any obvious issues with this?

any advice would be very welcome.

2. Garak112

Garak112 Member

I lived in a purpose built concrete flat next to someone who liked to partake in that. The only route through the walls was two shared heating pipes and a pipe for hot water and a pipe for cold.

We used expanding foam round all of the pipework where it went through the walls, boxed in all the pipework and sealed any entry and exit points for pipes.

Even so we could still smell it from time to time, it only takes a really small amount to leak through for you to smell it unfortunately.

I'd focus your efforts on trying to seal any gaps in the party wall, particularly around joist ends, and go from there.

just pumps likes this.