Sealing gap between worktop & cooker

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ban-all-sheds, Sep 29, 2007.

1. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Going to be having a free-standing cooker, with (probably granite) worktops each side running up to it.

What's the best way to seal the gaps between the worktops and the cooker to stop spills etc running down the side?

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

First go to your favourite destination - any large DIY shed and ask for their advice ;)

However - the worktop should be below the top edge of the cooker to stop any transference of heat to the surface, which may result indamage to the worktop.

There should be a gap of minimum 20mm between the appliance and the edge of the worktop to allow for expansion, cooling air circulation and extracting/installing the cooker.

3. russ295

russ295 New Member

usually i wouldnt seal it, but if you must, a nice small bead of clear silicone would do the trick, easy to cut through if the cooker need to be removed, and as said the cooker should be a little higher than the tops.
    if the granite is black and the cooker black then i would use black.

russ

4. Stretch

Stretch Member

Or you could try not being such a messy b**** when you're cooking. If you can't manage that then just pull the appliance out every now and again and give it a clean with a good detergent.

Anyway, if it's not your house I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and I definitely wouldn't silicone it in.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Or you could try not being such a messy b**** when you're cooking!

:^O

6. Stretch

Stretch Member

Lol, can't believe you just typed the same thing as me word for word Captain! :)

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Lol, can't believe you just typed the same thing as me word for word Captain!

copied and pasted more like ;)

8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Spills are inevitable.

And it's a 1.1m wide range cooker that needs a spanner taken to it to lower it onto the wheels, so moving it out for cleaning is not going to be a popular event.....

9. BAS, the cooker wants setting up so that it is approx 2-3 mm above the height of the work surfaces.

The work surfaces should fit close to the side of the cooker, ideally the gap should be about 1-2mm wider than the cooker, makes it a bit difficult to slide in, but looks good.

Don't bother trying to seal the gap, what ever you use is unlikely to survive the constant heating and cooling.

Cleaning it once a year will be all thats necesssary, (unless you really are messy in the kitchen).

10. Nathaniel001

Nathaniel001 New Member