Sealing in rockwool between plasterboard and insulation foil

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by steven123, Oct 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. steven123

steven123 New Member

Hi,
    Bit of a DIY newbie. Been trying to improve house insulation to keep heat in. I have a converted attic lined by plasterboard. The wall has plasterboard with 50mm of rockwool insulation behind it between the studs (no moisture barrier from what iv seen). I've filled any gaps iv seen with new rockwool insulation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My question: Can i seal in this insulation with some kind of reflective foil insulation behind it attached to the studs e.g https://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-airtec-reflective-double-insulation-1-2-x-25m/6520p
    or will this likely be risky as it could lead to moisture behind the plasterboard?

Attached Files:

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

I assume you want to support the outside of the rockwool to prevent it slumping down or falling away. You need a moisture permeable sheet to allow the rockwool to breathe and dump any moisture that may condense. You could use a PVC barrier with lots of ventilation holes, or use that orange temporary fencing you see at roadworks.

3. steven123

steven123 New Member

Thanks for the response Bob! I was actually trying to improve the thermal insulation properties of the wall by sealing in the wool so that cold air can get through gaps! The wool is pretty well wedged in. Judging by your response I’d need to use something breathable.