Sealing skirted bathtub

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by phloaw, Jan 15, 2020.

1. phloaw

phloaw Member

There are plenty of tutorials for sealing/caulking bathtubs. However, my bathtub has a kind of skirting around its edge, as in picture: [​IMG]

How do I go about that? Should I caulk both edges? I plan to use standard silicone, would that be good for both? Is there any particular I should keep in mind for my configuration?

Note that the skirting is difficult to remove because it has a flange trapped beneath the tiles to keep it in place.

TIA

2. That's old skool! Got that in one of my showers - at the time, 20 (?) years ago it was the done thing. The silicone on top of the strip is irrelevant and serves no purpose so I would just clean that off. However, I'm assuming that you're having problems as you're talking about resealing in which case you're scuppered. You could try lifting the edge of the strip and squeezing clear silicone in as you move along the bath but I doubt that would work as both the strip and bath edge will be "scummy" (for want of a better expression) and you can't really clean it so the silicone will have a hard time grabbing. It's annoying how thw lip of the seal yellows!!

phloaw likes this.
  3. phloaw

phloaw Member

Ok, thanks. I suspected and dreaded that. I asked just in case there were a way to escape the bother of removing that strip.