Sealing Wood-burner flue

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by LesW, Nov 9, 2020.

1. LesW

LesW Member

Hi
    I am looking at ‘lockdown’ jobs and one that is on the list is to refurb my Multi Fuel Stove for the Winter.
    One of the jobs is to reseal the joint between the Flue Pipe and the Flange on the top of the stove.
    The installer created an external ‘fillet’ of fireclay between the pipe and flange but due to relative movement through expansion, this has broken up and fallen away.

The perceived method would seem to suggest the use of rope but there is is virtually no gap between the O/D of the flue pipe and the I/D of the Flange so that’s a none starter.

Could the forum suggest if a high temperature silicon sealant can be used and if so, which a user would recommend.

(Photo attached)

Thanks in anticipation

Les W

Attached Files:

2. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Hi temp silicone is not suitable for this application, fire cement is what you need. Rake out old, clean with a wire brush and vacuum away all loose material to leave clean, dry and dust free. Force fresh fire cement into void ensuring whole space is filled, smooth off with a wet trowel, leave to dry.
    This is a, for want of a better term a “serviceable“ part and should be inspected regularly and replaced if not completely sound.
    If you don’t have one already get a co alarm fitted.

3. LesW

LesW Member

Dear RSB
    Thanks for the response.
    The air gap between the pipe and spigot is only about 0.75mm so will take a lot of ‘squeezing in’
    Will probably finish off with a 45deg fillet around the top of the joint to reinforce the seal.

Thanks again

4. Isla Linda

Isla Linda New Member

You can consult with All FIred Up for any informations related to Woodburning Stoves Ayrshire. They can help you out with details related to Multifuel Stoves.