Sealing Wood for Painting

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DaveF, Jun 18, 2018.

1. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I've been asked to paint some doors as a part of a larger job. I have painted one of these specific types of door before and found that the wood is very oily ~ contains a lot resins or something because after a while the grain starts to show through the paint. I suppose the problem is the same as knotty wood but we are talking way too much area to use knot sealer. Is there anything I can use or will I just have to bite the bullet and buy half a gallon of sealer?

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

2 coats of Zinnser BIN as starters I would have thought

Shellac based so great at sealing in stains and gives good adhesion to following coats

Astra will decide best course of action when he has a few minutes to spare :)

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had a pair of hardwood French doors to paint they were made from Iroko a natural oily wood much like Teak, it is best practice to thoroughly clean over the surface using methylated spirit to help remove any surface oils and to let dry prior to applying any paint. What is the intended finish going to be?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The Iroko exterior doors I was asked to paint were painted with 2 coats of Bedec Barn Paint in Semi Gloss Black after a thorough wash down with the meths, that was 7 years ago and to be honest would probably do with another clean up ready for next winters weather.

5. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Oh dear God someone skipped the doors. Thank you for the advice, duly noted, but no longer required, lol.

No actually apparently painting has been avoided and we are now fitting new doors.

LOL, you know the Spellow pub in Everton, a Victorian building, was refurbished and the workmen skipped a staircase. I mean how old could it be? Well, actually, it was reclaimed from a 13th century manor house. so the answer is very, very old, and very, very valuable.

6. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Ah OK would you believe I have another application, so I am going to get the Zinsser BIN. :D

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What is the other application, Zinsser BIN may be ott!