Seals for 10 year old screwfix mixer tap (40mm cartridge type)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tim Angus, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Tim Angus

Tim Angus New Member

My kitchen tap weeps slightly from the sealing surfaces between the swivelling spout and the tap body. It's roughly this style:
    [​IMG]

I've had it to bits, given everything a good clean and put it back together, but it still leaks. I'm trying to find replacement seals for it, but they aren't just simple o-rings; instead they have a complicated profile (seen below). I'm not having any luck googling for the things, does anyone know what these are called or where I might get them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. I very much doubt you will be able to find those seals/ Almost certainly specific to the tap.
    2. You could try packing out the slots they fit into with PTFE tape. Might just expand them enough to seal a while longer.
    3. Otherwise, and long term, new taps. Consider going for a known brand with spares backup.

3. Tim Angus

Tim Angus New Member

Good shout on the PTFE, I had a few reels of high density lying about and a couple of wraps of that seems to have stopped it for now. It was certainly a bit more of a struggle to reassemble than before, which can only be a good sign. Cheers.

The seals are surely not specific to the tap though? I would have thought the tooling costs of manufacturing a seal specifically for the tap would be uneconomic, and it's a cheap tap to begin with. You could be right though, who knows. I'm still interested if anyone happens to know if this seal style has a name though, for interest's sake if nothing else.