Seamless bi-fold doors - Help needed!

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Jonathan Hall, Nov 16, 2021.

?

Would you do your own tiling?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Jonathan Hall

Jonathan Hall New Member

Really hoping someone can point me in the right direction after my builder is now being on long term sick and hasn't returned for 6 months. I have 2.4m bifold doors installed and from the outset advised the builder ideally I would like to tile inside up to the bi-fold runner and decking outside at roughly the same height. The pic attached shows the external bifold cill and internally the kitchen floor is 50mm below the ideal tile height.

Does anyone know if I can construct decking over the cill and also build up the kitchen floor to tile upto 5/10 mm under door runner?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  2. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

You could make up the height of the floor will tile backer board

3. Jonathan Hall

Jonathan Hall New Member

Thanks Jiml86 - I consider myself a reasonable DIY'er but wasn't aware you could get a tile backer board. I bought 10 x 20kg bags of latex floor screed but then realised that the max screed depth is 10mm.

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Sadly you have the wrong threshold on the doors there. Should have been low profile threshold. Who specified them? I can see it’s smart system aluminium

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Batten it, ply it, prime it, tile it. Tile backer board and/or latex will cost you an absolute fortune.

6. Jonathan Hall

Jonathan Hall New Member

Thanks Jonathanc, I thought exactly the same re having the wrong threshold but after spending most the day on this it transpires that my builder may have installed the best threshold to prevent water ingress. Apparently the low profile thresholds aren't ideal for external use as will let water underneath and the concealed drainage system which is my type is recommended. Without going into too much detail I've attached the image showing the external and internal finished floor levels that are only 6mm apart in height.

Attached Files:

7. Jonathan Hall

Jonathan Hall New Member

Thanks Jord86... have just measured up and reckon battening could work. Presume you'd use a 12mm ply right? cheers

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No, 18mm or 22mm, on 20mm 2x1 battens then your tile on top takes it to roughly your 50mm.

9. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Or this.... I always forget everyone's not Jeff Bezos!