Second hand goods sold as new by Screwfix. BEWARE

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by TonyKay, Oct 1, 2021.

?

Has anyone else been supplied with Used items sold as New by Screwfix?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2021.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. TonyKay

TonyKay New Member

My mother collected a Mira Digital Shower yesterday, if I was with her I would have rejected it. It was clearly not a new item! The box looked years old and inside the box looks like it has been packed by a blind folded chimpanzee.

This is clearly a returned product and Screwfix are selling it as a new product which is an absolute disgrace. I a not spending £500 on a shower that looks as if items are missing and may not even function. Let us not even go down the second hand shower in a pandemic route.

If Amazon Warehouse was selling this 'Returned Item' they would probably list this as FAIR condition and offer a large discount.

After calling the Screwfix Contact number they tell me I have to wait 4 days for it to be collected by courier and returned to them. Before they will even consider sending a replacement. BTW not any sort of apology from them for their skulduggery.

Why I cannot simply return it to the same store I bought it from is ridiculous. So it cost Screwfix money to pay a courier to collect and the same again to provide a GENUINE NEW item. In the mean time my 82 year old mother has no shower and had to cancel the plumber. This has to be a joke just like the Screwfix email system. I wrote a complaint to them and I now have to wait 3 days for them to reply to me. This company has become a disgrace, after being a long time customer I certainly won't be buying from them in the future if I can avoid it.

I am hoping that the replacement is a NEW item and I am also hoping that they have reserved me a replacement otherwise I will be posting this story on as many social media sites that I can find.

So my advice to everyone is BEWARE and if you can go elsewhere then do so.

2. TonyKay

TonyKay New Member

This is the supposedly NEW shower Screwfix sent me. The box looks like some old generic Mira box which looks water damaged and it has no Security seal tabs on it so anyone could have easily opened it and removed or swapped anything. As for the interior of the box it looks like things are missing as there are a couple of empty slots. Also many parts are thrown into one section which have just been left to rattle around and probably scratch and mark the chrome and plastic fittings. I was so disgusted in this box full of junk Screwfix sent me I didn't even bother taking anything out and seeing if anything was missing, because I am not keeping someone else's reject. If Screwfix want to sell Used/Returned items like this then they should do what Amazon Warehouse does and offer them for sale at a greatly reduced price NOT try and pass them on to an unsuspecting customer. I will have to get in touch with my local Trading Standards and see what they have to say

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  3. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I suspect that's how it was sent from Mira to screwfix, I'm not saying its right but as a plumber if I rejected every box that looked like that id never do anything. why not just look inside and see if everything is actually there and what condition its in. Could you not have just taken it straight back to the store if you purchased in store?

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. OnlyLew

OnlyLew New Member

Screwfix get sent their tcnd items from parcleforce, and they can be incredibly careless. throwing items around like they are toys, boxes get damaged and safety seals get broken. if that's how the order was placed you should be able to go into store and get a refund as you have the item in hand

pppmacca43 likes this.
  5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I would have just taken it back to the store, in my experience they would have replaced it immediately. As for beware and go elsewhere and "skulduggery" I think that is a bit over the top. This is not typical of Screwfix in my experience of many years.

Admit it is annoying but they are collecting it and replacing it and as for trading standards, I really wouldn't waste their time and yours.

pppmacca43 and OnlyLew like this.
  6. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I suspect if you took it into the local store, they would be able to help as I've always found their customer service excellent.

OnlyLew likes this.
  7. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

I 100% appreciate your frustration, especially as an elderly parent is involved. But with the utmost respect, venting your anger to a bunch of strangers on the internet isn't going to resolve your issue. It's Screwfix you should be getting angry at - not the world in general.

Hope you get fixed up.

OnlyLew and candoabitofmoststuff like this.
  8. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

You make strong accucations yet freely admit that you havent fully examined the item. The first rule when opening any box is too check all parts are there and examine them!

pppmacca43 likes this.
  9. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

It happens with other suppliers as well, but to date has not happened with Screwfix for me. The real issue is how they deal with it. Argos has exchanged it without a quibble, but Richer Sounds deserve a special mention as a TV I got recently was clearly a returned item, and were last of their kind. After a few email exchanges and without any pressure from me, they paid compensation for wasted petrol, for me to go and pick up a sealed unit from another branch.

10. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

TBF to Screwfix I have found them superb at dealing with any issues/refunds etc I have had, either instore or when i have contacted them through social media channels. Its part of the reason I will always use Screwfix if I can

nigel willson likes this.
  11. PawelM

PawelM Member

I purchased a plunge saw from our host which clearly was used and returned. Took it back to store, explained the situation and received a brand new one. No questions, no fuss

nigel willson likes this.
  12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Bought a box of coving 6x3m lengths and 2 of them in the sealed box was covered in adhesive. I think some people return so well packed back up the store don't know it was ever opened. Then put back on shelf.

To answer yes I think I have bought used products but I've never had a return problem with screwfix or B&Q. Also bought flat pack furniture that had been opened with bust or missing parts and bought electrical goods missing cables ect as clearly been opened before. Its why I'm careful where I shop and return.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Not from Screwfix but few years ago bought 10lt tub of white emulsion

Gave it a good stir but thought seemed really thin, had used same paint before and was previously happy with it in all respects

As I was stirring, loads of muck starting filtering up from bottom of bucket, and paint was still as thin as when I started to stir

On closer inspection of bucket, it was covered with a fine mist of paint spray, like it had been in the room whilst the ceiling had been rollered. Clearly a % of the tub had been used and topped up with water before returning to store. Many of these 10lt buckets have no tab to remove before removing lid so no obvious sign that the product had been opened

Returned without a problem for an exchange - just my time and the inconvenience caused

Lady that dealt with this told me she had previously had a bucket returned that upon opening, the customer found very little paint but the weight had been made up with a house brick or two :eek:

Some customers eh :mad:

14. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

15. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

I’m not sure there’s a point. The OP posted his rant at 03.42 yesterday morning and hasn’t been seen since …….

pppmacca43 likes this.