Second opinion..

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Jul 3, 2021.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Someone has asked if I can put a 600 wide hob in a 1000 high line base. I'm pretty sure that's not possible because of the centre support. Unless of course it was taken out but then a 1000 unsupported span of worktop with hob in is not great. The customer wants to get the units on offer but they only do a 600 and a 1000 so it's looking like they'll have to use a 600. Thoughts?

2. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

I'm only diy but I wouldn't do it unless I could move the support. Guessing it's a 4 burner if they got that fully loaded at Xmas with pans I'd be concerned.

Unless you could move the centre post down or add some support somehow. But then you'd have to charge extra labour. Customers being tight lol

John Bunyan likes this.
  3. Parc

Parc New Member

Hob will be fine fitted to a 1000 unit as you attach it to the worktop the cupboard underneath doesn’t support it. Just be careful if it’s gas as the regs have changed regarding wall cupboards and clearances it will state them in the manufacturers instructions and make sure it’s a gas safe person connecting the gas.

just pumps and John Bunyan like this.
  4. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

Oh yeah good point lol too many beers in me lol

5. John Bunyan

It's electric in this case. I know what you mean but the whole top rail gets removed so there's nothing for doors to close against at the top. I've fitted hobs in 800 drawer units but these are hi line doors. I'm still thinking

6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

No problems in my hi line 1000 unit other than cutting out a piece of the rear horizontal spar for the gas pipe. Front top rail was untouched.

John Bunyan likes this.
  7. John Bunyan

Howdens built under oven housings come with a temp front rail with a note on it saying it needs removing. Hob cut outs for howdens lamona are 560 wide by 490 deep and worktops 616 so there's no room for a top rail on the cabinet?

8. just pumps

Forget anything I posted, mention of the back wall and side cupboards by somebody made me realise that I had none so the hob went further back - Sorry.

9. John Bunyan

Hi please can you explain as I'm not sure what you mean and what you said isn't valid now?

10. just pumps

It was to do with removing the top rail.