Securing a recessed gas meter box

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by james eaton, Sep 19, 2019.

1. james eaton

james eaton New Member

I’m fitting my recessed gas meter box and and was wondering how these are secured into the wall?

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

If its the plastic box itself, screw & glue it.

3. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

there are three screww holes in the back can be punched out
    can leave it loose and sealed around the outside
    make shore the pipe entering is sealed up the earth cable is usually put through the same plastic sleeve connected to the rear of the box dont as the cable must be a minimum of 1" away and this will not allow it so connect on inside but within 600mm

4. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

With screws

5. gas monkey

shaken not stired

6. james eaton

james eaton New Member

Cadent are doing the plumbing I’m just fitting the box, just seemed strange to just push the box in and leave it unsecured.

So I can leave it loose and seal with silicone and seal where the spigot enters the room?

Would expanding foam work?

Not sure where the holes in the back are but I’ve really looked at I did see three holes for the spigot to screwed in.

7. gas monkey

as long as the sealent is fire proof
    if loose they can mess about with it easier for the pipe if a bit tight they will thank you for it

8. james eaton

james eaton New Member

Are the screw holes in the back plate I’ve just looked online and seen some stew holes in there (circled on picture)

Attached Files:

9. james eaton

james eaton New Member

Something like this should do the job then!

Attached Files:

10. gas monkey

thats the meter bracket cant see why not though and if its flame resistant yes but must be rated same or more than the box so if box 1/2 fire time then mastic same

11. james eaton

james eaton New Member

Superb thankyou for your help much appreciated

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I was planning on doing similar.

The gas surveyor said to use expanding foam to secure the box. It needs holding in place until it goes off.

Don't drill any further holes than the already pre-existing hole as they may get funny at connection time and not carry out the work. Due to possibility of gas leaking into cavity.

The Teach likes this.
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think these are just standard holes for all brackets. There should be a chipboard backing in the box to secure the bracket to.

14. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

As mentioned by Jitender,dont drill any holes in the recessed box.

General installation requirements and the legal requirement are listed on the yellow label.Photo in #8

The box is secured into the wall with mortar,thats the only way. ;)
    Once the box is set in the wall and the mortar drying. The external perimeter of the box needs sealing to prevent water ingress with Intumescent mastic or putty.

:)