Securing loose 7

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by paulo333, Jul 28, 2007.

1. paulo333

paulo333 Member

This seems a builders' thing more than carpenters...

Existing double gates (wooden). Gates to be replaced. Brick piers flanked by 7"x7" wooden posts which the gates are hung on. There is a 10mm to 15mm gap down the side of the posts letting daylight through. Cannot see any sign of anything that ever tied these posts into the brickwork.

Question is now, how the heck to secure the posts to the brickwork??? The fixings would have to get through the posts and into the wall.

Drilling through the timber is possible, and with the right bit, drilling on into the brick as well. But what kind of fixing could work in this situation?

Anyone actually done this before?

If the 7x7 posts do get replaced, how far are the old ones likely to have been sunk in the ground?

Any creative, practical ideas and comments very much appreciated.

2. paulo333

paulo333 Member

Oh well. The subject title was "Securing loose 7"x7" gate posts" but something went awry....

3. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Why do the posts need securing to the brickwork? If they are holding the gates ok then i would be tempted to leave them be.

As for how far they go down - who knows! The further the better is the general rule - depends on how concientious and energetic the guy who dug the holes was!

4. paulo333

paulo333 Member

Well, there is an identical set of gates on the other side of the property and those wooden posts are both 100% flush with the brick piers.

The wooden gates in this set are badly damaged from being under a large tree for years so they currently do not operate at all. I suspect new gates would not work properly because the wooden posts will move under the weight of the gates.

5. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Just an idea for securing the gate post to the piers.

You could use a wood drill to drill through the posts - then swap to to a long masonry bit to continue through the brick. Countersink the holes in the post and the masonry and place a packer piece in the gap between post and wall. Then push a length of threaded bar through - couple of washers and nuts and should be all secure.

Drill bits and threaded bar all available from screwfix.

6. paulo333

paulo333 Member

Ok Hallbeck, I'm with you on the drilling part. However I don't see what would hold the threaded bar in the brick. Threaded rod won't grip reliably on bare brick, even if it's a tight fit. And I can't see how to get anything into a hole drilled in the brick since it's got to go through the wooden post first.

The posts are unlikely to be easily removable unless I HAVE to replace them. I don't want to disturb them any more than I have to.

Also, why would youse a packing piece? Surely it's better to pull the post as tightly as possible up to the brick.

7. Ion Transient

Ion Transient New Member

why do you want to fix the posts to the brickwork?..they wern't before

leave things as they are..fit your new gates and be happy

8. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Maybe i have misunderstood. I thought the brickwork was a brick column that could be accessed from both sides and so drilled right through.

So - either leave as it is

Or - all i can think of is to use the longest multi monti (available from screwfix). Drill right through the post and into the brick - then countersink the hole in the post far enough to allow the bolt sufficient purchase on the brick. Screw the bolt in using a socket and extension bar.

The packer piece is to stop you bending the post. If the gap is equal down the length of the post then pulling it shut will either bend the post or pull some brickwork loose.

Hope that is clear!

9. paulo333

paulo333 Member

OK, just to clarify what we're looking at...

The brick piers are at the ends of brick walls so unfortunately no access from the other side.

As far as your question goes Ion, compared to the other pair of gates on the property, the posts on this one clearly have moved. The gap between the wood posts and the brick piers is uneven (and unsightly) and is definitely not meant to be there.

All that leads me to suspect that when new gates are hung they will pull more on the posts and result in the two gates colliding in the centre. (since current gates are inoperative, it's really hard to tell if the posts are moving under their weight).

10. Trog

Trog New Member

Could you fix a small jockey wheel to the bottom rail of each gate to take some of the weight off the hinges and so prevent the two gates clashing.If the ground is uneven then this would not work unless you can get a sprung jockey wheel.

Regards

11. Trog

Trog New Member

12. Trog

Trog New Member

13. paulo333

paulo333 Member

Unfortunately Troq there's a downhill slope from the post line so a wheel couldn't work unless it was on stilts.

14. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

Ok Hallbeck, I'm with you on the drilling part.
    However I don't see what would hold the threaded bar
    in the brick. Threaded rod won't grip reliably on
    bare brick, even if it's a tight fit. And I can't see
    how to get anything into a hole drilled in the brick
    since it's got to go through the wooden post first.

Chemical resin would hold the threaded stud in brickwork.

You can either pump it in with a long nozzle or it is available in glass tubes which you break in the hole with the bolt(much more tricky to use).

Another alternative would be to get some wrought iron bands made up by your local blacksmith to fit over the post and pier.

15. paulo333

paulo333 Member

Thanks a lot for the ideas.

Perhaps a flat bar drilled and cemented (or 'resined') into the pier, level with the top of the post. Then screw down through the bar into the post. Should do it.

Thanks again.